Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head Pipe questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 10:03 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,167 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Performance wise the benefit from replacing the stock head pipe rather than de-catting it comes from the overall design, most importantly the collector. Depending on the specific combination there can also be issues with O2 sensor sampling when removing the cat from a stock pipe as the sensors are only a few inches upstream from where the catalyst was located which is now an open chamber.

Note the collector design on the Jackpot 2/1/2 below

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 08-25-2015, 12:52 PM
MGS Performance
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DeluxeCruiser
What is the difference between adding new head pipes and removing the catalytic converter in the stock head pipes?

I think most aftermarket head pipes are straight through pipes with no catalytic converter but maybe I am wrong.
Number 1 the heat issue to get rid of the cat you greatly reduce the heat in your engine and number 2 with a stepped header you actually create a vacuum and suck the exhaust out of the cylinder.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:54 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
I believe the chart you are referring to on our site is the chart comparing the Jackpot 2/1/2 head pipe to the stock NON-catalyst head pipe on a 2009 96" bike, in that example while peak Hp gain was not huge there were still significant increases in torque. On the later model engines and bikes with catalysts there are much more pronounced gains. Below is a chart from a typical stage 1 combination; slip on mufflers, air cleaner and tuner showing the difference between the stock head pipe and secondly with the Jackpot 2/1/2. Besides the increase in performance there are large reductions in heat which radiates and contributes to parasitic loss as it affects the surrounding components, the non-catalyst pipe also provides more powerful sound.

Jamie,

I was referring to that dyno with the 2009.. I realize that there is considerable difference between performance head pipes and stock with a cat. My reference was the difference between a performance head pipe and a decatted stock such as what the run shows between a performance header and a 2009 stock pipe which does not have a cat. Do you happen to have a run that shows the difference between a performance pipe and a stock pipe that has had the cat removed in one of the more modern bikes. I know that when I gutted the cat, added slip-ons and SE air cleaner with one of your PC V's on my 2012 Limited the power went up and the heat went down, just wondering what difference there is between just a head pipe and a factory pipe with a gutted cat.

As far as o2 sensors and locations go, does it matter with the gutted cat and the use of the PC V since the PC V has the sensors unplugged?

Thanks for the updated info.

Bill

Last edited by billnourse; 08-26-2015 at 08:11 AM.