Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running aux power

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 12:48 AM
scott01
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Running aux power

What's the best way to get power for my iPhone from the fairing? My mount will be centered behind the windshield and I will have an Aquabox for my phone to leave the exposed end of the wire when phone is not in use. Thanks

Old 08-24-2015, 01:35 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

I use an isimple which I bought from another rider for $25...it has the 30 pin connector which was great with my 4S...now with the 5S I use the 30 pin to lightning adapter- the apple one is best and I got it online for $7

the power comes from the oft used "position light" wiring which is on your headlight wiring loom, the orange wht wire is + and it is on when the bike is on:

this uses the aux in on the front panel

so for me good results the past few years and under $35

Mike

Old 08-24-2015, 01:54 AM
fatboy slim
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is it a canbus model?

Old 08-24-2015, 01:55 AM
cncmike
Road Master
Received 251 Likes on 161 Posts

Buy a Belkin or other brand Usb to cigarette lighter adapter for about $10. The kind that goes in flush and plug into that. It doesn't require any wiring and you don't have to open the fairing. It turns on and off with the ignition and push the excess wiring into the gap between the handlebar and fairing seal

Old 08-24-2015, 03:38 AM
scott01
Outstanding HDF Member

Sorry it's a 2010 model SG so no Canbus wiring. I definitely want it hard wired and have no problem spending the 5 minutes it takes to pull the outer fairing off. I think Mike is on the right track but I'm not sure what the first device was that he mentioned

Old 08-24-2015, 04:12 AM
fatboy slim
Road Master

Well there should be an auxiliary socket under the seat that you can buy a HD plug with a short pigtail. It has two wires, one on when ignition is on the other on when ignition is on Ignition or Aux, there's also a brake light feed and obviously a ground. I took the Ig/Aux feed off that to a cigarette socket in the right saddlebag. Then used a Belkin 2 amp charger in the saddlebag with a USB lead running back to my iphone, but my iPhone goes on a mag mount on the tank not on the bars. One advantage to this setup is that whilst away I don't carry any wall chargers for phones / cameras etc, and if anything needs charging it just goes in the saddlebag whilst I'm riding, hooked up to the belkin, or whilst I'm parked with the ignition on Auxiliary. I do get the odd person say is that your bike you've left your lights on etc, but I've charged stuff for upto 4 hours whilst parked up and never had a even a hint of a slow start after.

So that's one option, or just go from the lighting wires as above.

Last edited by fatboy slim; 08-24-2015 at 07:29 AM.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:15 AM
fatboy slim
Road Master

Belkin charger.
you can get dual output ones for charging two devices at once, handy if you run the set up I have.
Also if you're using your iPhone as your sav you will need the 2 amp version or it will go flat even if its on charge.

Attached Thumbnails Running aux power-belkincarusb.jpg  
Old 08-24-2015, 04:47 AM
scott01
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by fatboy slim
Belkin charger.
you can get dual output ones for charging two devices at once, handy if you run the set up I have.
Also if you're using your iPhone as your sav you will need the 2 amp version or it will go flat even if its on charge.
Yes I want to use my iPhone as my navigation and Bluetooth my tunes to the radio. So I just want to wire a plug type socket to the headlight harness Mike mentioned and get a 2 amp plug? What about waterproofing the socket/plug? Cover it with electrical tape or don't worry?

Old 08-24-2015, 07:18 AM
paid4c4
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

This USB mounts in the fairing to the left side of my windshield bag. I use it for my iPhone or iPod. I ran the cable down the frame wire loom and used the auxiliary power plug which was well hidden in front of the battery. It was worth the effort to me.
Bill

Old 08-24-2015, 07:38 AM
fatboy slim
Road Master

If you don't want to use a cigarette type socket you can use one of these, which is what I use on the Deluxe. So long as the iPhone has some charge in it it does a good job of keeping it at the same level if the sav app is on, but it won't increase the charge level unless the sav app is off.

I cut the connectors off an optimate pigtail and used the waterproof connector to connect to the HD softail connector that goes to the live feed on the data port, as the softys don't have an accessory plug like the touring bikes. Switches on/off with the ignition and also comes on with the ignition in acc as with the RK. The charger fits in the battery tray as its quite narrow, so I'm thinking you could hide it somewhere under your fairing.

Attached Thumbnails Running aux power-it060015.jpg  

Quick Reply: Running aux power