Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Use of Spot Lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 03:27 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,927 Likes on 19,372 Posts

Originally Posted by Durango Dave
Thanks! A FIX from Harley Davidson! Why do they have a "fix" for their own product? I know that's your word not theirs but why do these lights go OFF when I turn on the high beams?
Originally Posted by just plain john
The spots are powered by the low beam circuit. When switched to high beam the low beam circuit loses power and the lights go out. The "fix" illustrated moves the power source from the low beam circuit to an 'key on' hot source.
Originally Posted by Durango Dave
Of course the aux lights are powered by the low beam circuit. But why? I'd like to think someone at HD didn't just connect the aux lights to any wire that sometimes had voltage on it. Someone at Harley Davidson, in their infinite wisdom, thought these auxiliary spot lights should never come on when the high beams are on. Is there any reason for this? Any reason at all? I'd even like to hear a bad reason just so I could think that someone thought they knew what they were doing when they designed this.
Harley Davidson is one company that makes a tremendous amount of money by selling modifications to motorcycles. Everyone wants their bike to be unique just for them. Now here's a kit they sell "if you really want to have control over when your aux lights are on you buy this kit".
Originally Posted by ultraclassic53
Only thing I can think of is the are designed to be like fog lights . My fog lights on my truck only work on low .
It is illegal in some states for the passing lamps to operate when the headlight is on the high beam so HD wires it to conform.

Old 08-23-2015, 03:42 PM
Durango Dave
Road Captain
Received 508 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
It is illegal in some states for the passing lamps to operate when the headlight is on the high beam so HD wires it to conform.
Thanks Larry. You've been informative but how does the law define "passing lamps"? There are driving lights, fog lights, running lights and auxiliary lights. Are these all the same in the eyes of the law? I know not to turn on high beams in fog because they just illuminate the fog itself and not the road. Are they thinking these lights are only used in fog? I say everyone uses these lights on a motorcycle to be more visible to other drivers. And yes some use them to help illuminate the road but does anyone really keep these off all the time unless it is foggy? Even then if they shine so high as to illuminate fog then they should be allowed to be on with high beams. If they are to be below the fog then it shouldn't matter when they are on.

Old 08-23-2015, 03:44 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 30,947 Likes on 11,624 Posts

I bought the adapter harness from Kurykn that allows the spots to be on with the high beam. They can be turned on and off via the original switch. I recently replaced the OEM bulbs with Cyron LEDs. They were $70 for the pair and they are much brighter than the OEM bulbs. The Cyrons use Cree bulbs, and Cyrons part number:AB881-A6K

Last edited by TriGeezer; 08-23-2015 at 03:53 PM.
Old 08-23-2015, 07:06 PM
Durango Dave
Road Captain

I bought the adapter from the HD dealer to turn on my Aux lights any time I want. I also adjusted the lights lower. I made the tool below by cutting and grinding a 9/16 deep socket. Thanks to Uncle Larry and others.

Attached Thumbnails Use of Spot Lights-aux-light-adjusting-tool-small-.jpg  
Old 08-23-2015, 10:51 PM
Durango Dave
Road Captain

I waited until dark to do the final alignment of these lights and I'm glad I did. These things are much more directional than I thought. Not at all like fog lights. It's like having 3 head lights.
Back away from the garage I adjusted them on the garage door doing one light at a time.

Old 08-23-2015, 10:52 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,927 Likes on 19,372 Posts

Dave ... You are persistent. You managed to make it an all day project! Good job :>)

Old 08-24-2015, 08:32 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,530 Likes on 1,425 Posts

You are on it now, Dave.
Most folks totally overlook the spot adjustments.
I went with the Truck Lights (TLP7), left spot line slightly below the low beam line toward road center line, right spot slightly above low beam line and toward the right side of the road. At high beam with all three of these blazing, country roads are well lit at night, during the day you are much more visible. Can't beat it!