Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Use of Spot Lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 09:36 AM
Durango Dave
Road Captain
Received 508 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
This is one fix. HD also provides a harness.

OR

http://www.harley-davidson.com/app-c...ts/-J05534.PDF
Thanks! A FIX from Harley Davidson! Why do they have a "fix" for their own product? I know that's your word not theirs but why do these lights go OFF when I turn on the high beams?

Last edited by Durango Dave; 08-23-2015 at 09:38 AM.
Old 08-23-2015, 10:56 AM
Blowby
Road Captain
Received 168 Likes on 71 Posts

I did the FIX and also use TL7 headlight and spot lights on my '03. Spots on day and night, low and high. Great lighting pattern for night riding in desolate areas in the mountains and high desert.

Old 08-23-2015, 11:18 AM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

Since 1987 or so I have been aligning my Passing Lamps simply by grabbing them securely and moving them to point exactly where I want them to go.

I find a long flat road and go there in the dark.

Take 2 thick towels to cover lights with and appropriate tools.

Align the single light where you want it is so much more precise when the other 2 are covered.

Old 08-23-2015, 11:45 AM
HDSAE60
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I wired mine to stay on with the acc switch. But also to go out right or left, when the blinker light comes on. Easy with a nc dual relay and really gets attention in traffic. a leo in Austin, TX pulled me over ask me how it worked and wanted it on his bike!

Old 08-23-2015, 12:39 PM
slapshot12
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

Mine are on all the time, high or low beam.

Old 08-23-2015, 12:44 PM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Durango Dave
Thanks! A FIX from Harley Davidson! Why do they have a "fix" for their own product? I know that's your word not theirs but why do these lights go OFF when I turn on the high beams?
The spots are powered by the low beam circuit. When switched to high beam the low beam circuit loses power and the lights go out. The "fix" illustrated moves the power source from the low beam circuit to an 'key on' hot source.

Old 08-23-2015, 12:53 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,530 Likes on 1,425 Posts

I did the high beam wire mod, spots are on day or night. Adjustment is critical. If you have to, cover the other two as you adjust each light - NOT to the manual, but to YOUR liking.
Mentioned by me before, what the MoCo expects you to do to adjust the passing lamps is downright stupid. Dumbest design on the entire bike, IMHO.

Old 08-23-2015, 02:21 PM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Here you go OP, if you want to make the spots stay on with the high beam there's a way to do it. Read away. Google is your friend. https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...w.hdforums.com

Old 08-23-2015, 03:11 PM
Durango Dave
Road Captain
Received 508 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Durango Dave
... but why do these lights go OFF when I turn on the high beams?
Originally Posted by just plain john
The spots are powered by the low beam circuit. When switched to high beam the low beam circuit loses power and the lights go out. The "fix" illustrated moves the power source from the low beam circuit to an 'key on' hot source.
Of course the aux lights are powered by the low beam circuit. But why? I'd like to think someone at HD didn't just connect the aux lights to any wire that sometimes had voltage on it. Someone at Harley Davidson, in their infinite wisdom, thought these auxiliary spot lights should never come on when the high beams are on. Is there any reason for this? Any reason at all? I'd even like to hear a bad reason just so I could think that someone thought they knew what they were doing when they designed this.
Harley Davidson is one company that makes a tremendous amount of money by selling modifications to motorcycles. Everyone wants their bike to be unique just for them. Now here's a kit they sell "if you really want to have control over when your aux lights are on you buy this kit".

Old 08-23-2015, 03:17 PM
ultraclassic53
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Only thing I can think of is the are designed to be like fog lights . My fog lights on my truck only work on low .

Quick Reply: Use of Spot Lights