Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind Buffeting and Road Glide

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 09:07 PM
Gwaxley
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Wind Buffeting and Road Glide

Just got back from a road trip and the wind buffeting was a force to be reckoned with on my limited at times. Is the Road Glide better at handling the wind gusts and what are the trade offs between the two fairing styles? I've never road a Road Glide..

Old 08-20-2015, 09:14 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by Gwaxley
......what are the trade offs between the two fairing styles? ..
....... not even sure where to start here

Old 08-20-2015, 09:23 PM
R_Einan
Road Master
Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

I rode a '12 FLHX for about 10k miles before I wrecked in May. I had changed to a LRS Ultra Elite in 7", added vented Lowers, and the Dog dish on the lower triple tree. Fairly smooth with manageable buffeting during optimal conditions. The weather protection was excellent. Cross winds and strong head winds were defiantly a force to be reckoned with. I could feel the engine struggling to overcome the headwinds at 75 at times and it definately required a firm hand and a lot of attention.

I've only put about 3k on my '15 FLTRX so far. I have added the lower fairings off the street glide that were not installed when I wrecked, an 11" freedom shield, and the clip on crash bat deflectors from HD. Overall, windmanagment is better than the batwing. More air flow over all, but it is smoother air with less buffeting. Haven't had any experience with the weather protection of the shark, but the light rain I have encountered wasn't bad. I don't think the RG is as protective during weather as a batwing; but that is just my impression. Headwinds and cross winds are more manageable on the RG. Side winds are more of a slight lean into the wind with your body, compared to the struggle of a batwing. Headwinds don't produce quite the noticeable change in power requirements. Lastly, the RG is much more handy at slow speeds.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:39 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

straight outta the box, the roadglide is great for dealing with windgusts. the fairing being mounted to the frame keeps all that input force from being directed to your forks/handlebars. however, it can also suck for the rider/passenger as far as wind force hitting you. but once you get it dialed in for rider/passenger comfort, it is awesome. I've been riding roadglides since 2010, and will not own anything else. i'm using the 12'' windsplitter (but i'm short), and fairing lowers. I've been on rides where when we get to our destination, have heard people remark how 'brutal' the wind was, and I didn't even notice it.....

take one for a test ride sometime, and not just around the block.

The following users liked this post:
Ruffinit (06-30-2020)
Old 08-20-2015, 10:24 PM
Gwaxley
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
straight outta the box, the roadglide is great for dealing with windgusts. the fairing being mounted to the frame keeps all that input force from being directed to your forks/handlebars. however, it can also suck for the rider/passenger as far as wind force hitting you. but once you get it dialed in for rider/passenger comfort, it is awesome. I've been riding roadglides since 2010, and will not own anything else. i'm using the 12'' windsplitter (but i'm short), and fairing lowers. I've been on rides where when we get to our destination, have heard people remark how 'brutal' the wind was, and I didn't even notice it.....

take one for a test ride sometime, and not just around the block.
I appreciate the feed back and think a serious test ride on a RG with lowers is in order and maybe with a 120ci.

Old 08-20-2015, 10:34 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,599 Likes on 2,722 Posts

If you don't have an ultra, the following are required to have effective wind management on a road glide. All of which are standard on an ultra:

Fairing lowers, the engine guard mounted wind deflectors, and a tall enough windshield. Preferably one with a flare at the top. I have a 13" dark from LRS and it's great.

Many swear by the Madstad windshield but some can't get past the appearance. I'm sure the engineering principles behind it are quite sound.

Last edited by Keithhu; 08-20-2015 at 10:36 PM.
Old 08-20-2015, 10:43 PM
AZdryheat
Road Captain
Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

I may not be correct but it seems to me that the Road Glide has the same wind buffeting problems that I experienced on my Goldwing simply because the fairing and windshield are set so far forward, away from the rider. When I go my Ultra Limited the wind buffeting stopped. I assume it's because the fairing and windshield are closer to me.

Old 08-21-2015, 12:00 AM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

Put a windshield with the "flip" on the top such as Long Ride Shields or Fastaire sell and much of that buffeting will stop. The windsplitter types only have a minimal effect on buffeting, in my experience. The regular width windshield but with the flip is the way to go.

Old 08-21-2015, 05:05 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by Guntoter
Put a windshield with the "flip" on the top such as Long Ride Shields or Fastaire sell and much of that buffeting will stop. The windsplitter types only have a minimal effect on buffeting, in my experience. The regular width windshield but with the flip is the way to go.
again, that is going to be dependent on how tall you are. torso height, not inseam. i'm 5'4'', with a 29'' inseam and my 12'' windsplitter works great for me. I do still get some wind in the face, but no buffeting. I do change it out for the 15'' windsplitter in the winter time for less cold air in the face, but I might not this year since buying a lazer modular helmet last winter.

Old 08-21-2015, 05:42 AM
hogcowboy
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorta apples and oranges here but not really. I had a 1985 Electra Glide then changed to a BMW K100. The frame mounted fairing was much better in wind. I should have remember that when I got my 2007 Electra Glide. Guarantee my next Harley will be a Road Glide. Frame mounted fairing is the way to go with wind. Cross winds especially.

Quick Reply: Wind Buffeting and Road Glide