Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind Buffeting and Road Glide

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 06:35 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,770 Likes on 2,533 Posts

I've rented two batwing touring bikes, a Streetglide and an Electraglide and got some faring buffeting from both bikes. After reading numerous articles on the bat wing and the fixed frame fairing (Road Glide) I made the jump to the Road Glide Ultra. with the lower fairings, wind dams on the engine guards and the stock windshield. Passing semis or them coming at you hardly any buffet. As far as the wind not a big concern except for 40 mph cross winds, then you just lean into wind, then you get to listen to the "hum" from the front tire. Wind on the passenger minimal, that's what the missus says.

Old 08-21-2015, 06:57 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,480 Likes on 761 Posts

Originally Posted by Coastal CVO
Folks, we're riding motorcycles, there is going to be wind buffeting.

The Batwing transmits the buffeting to the front end (handlebars/forks) and the Shark transmits the buffeting to the frame. The forks are on a movable shaft, they are going to move.

The frame has more mass and will react less so if comparing bike stability, the Road Glide or Shark fairing is more stable.
Finally, someone posts the diff between the two bikes, buffeting for the rider is not relevant as people are all shapes and sizes,you're on your own there. The difference is how the "bike" is affected by the wind.

Old 08-23-2015, 05:33 PM
Gwaxley
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by sixguns
Finally, someone posts the diff between the two bikes, buffeting for the rider is not relevant as people are all shapes and sizes,you're on your own there. The difference is how the "bike" is affected by the wind.
Went looked at a few RGs yesterday. They didn't want to let me ride a new one for a good test like an hour or so. I want to get a good test at interstate speeds and behind some trucks and such. They had a 2011 CVO with a wind splitter on it I could have road but not enough time, probably try to ride one next month maybe they will have a 16 there. I appreciate all the info..

Old 08-24-2015, 03:12 AM
ybnorml
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 28,770 Likes on 11,543 Posts

I experience no buffeting what-so-ever......what air I get is clean air.
I have used the same 10" (ebay) windshield since almost day 1....
I have the UC seat which has been modified by MCC...lowers with vents opened.

A lot will depend on your torso and seating position, in relation to your windshield configuration.
Hopefully you get the chance for an extended test ride on a '15....

Attached Thumbnails Wind Buffeting and Road Glide-img_0648-medium-.jpg  
Old 08-24-2015, 04:19 AM
scott01
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by theCoach
The buffeting from below the batwings can be stopped with Baker Built's Air Wings. I run a LRS 9" Ultra and my chin whiskers lay flat now, no more tickling my nose. If you want some wind, they're adjustable. Good product IMO
They look like boat paddles lol