Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind Buffeting and Road Glide

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 12:12 PM
Shadowbennie
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I currently ride an '11 SG, but I am heavily considering a new RG as well.

Not only because I really like the looks of the new RG but also because I experience brain-rattling buffeting on my SG. I ride with a variety of shields dependent upon the weather, and the only one that eliminates the "head shaking" buffeting is actually my klock werks 3.5". I think it's because it is so short that there is less of an air pressure disparity between in the front of the fairing and behind the fairing. I have a 6.5" klock werks that is okay for buffeting and I use that for cooler weather, then a 7.5" LRS ultra for when it gets really cold. However, with a helmet, either of those two shields still make my head shake & my vision blurry.

I also added the dog dish at the forks, which may or may not have helped. I'm not convinced that it makes a difference.

So, I took a test ride on a '15 RG a while back just to see what that was like, and I fully agree that the stock shield is useless. However, I also agree that the air coming at me was just clean wind, I had to wear a helmet for the test ride, and guess what, no head shake! BUT, at highway speeds, the wind noise is so extreme with the stock RG shield that I couldn't turn the radio up loud enough to be able to hear it. Point being that a taller shield would be a necessity to either a) hear the radio or b) ride in colder weather

I've asked on here for others' experiences with taller windshields on the new RG, and get a consensus that taller windshields can be added to the new RG's (and not have to add lowers, wings, highway bar mounted deflectors, etc) and not have very much buffeting when compared to a SG. For the most part, that seems to be the opinion. I'd say that sounds like a win/win to me!

Old 08-21-2015, 01:14 PM
JimTJr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

As you can see, it's simply a matter of opinion, on person (Campos) claims the buffeting on a RG was so bad he went back to the batwing, MOST move from the batwing to the RG,,, it's still some wind, but not the same kind. I put 36k miles on my 10 SG with the stock windshield. (I'm 5'9"). I have a 15 RG now, only 500 miles on it, but the wind you get is different. My SG would sometimes pull my sunglasses off my face,,, it hit from the chin it seemed. My RG doesn't do anything like that, there is wind around you, but that's all.. we are on a MOTORCYCLE after all, aren't we? I May change my WS on the RG, if for nothing else than to hear the stereo better, and help the wife out. She says the wind is not much different at all for her. I do have a Mustang Solo with the 13" Passenger Pillion for the wife. She sits higher than stock. I may sit a little lower than stock with my seat now,, but not much.

Old 08-21-2015, 01:19 PM
Ruffinit
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I own the first year of the "Road Glide". I recently took a '15 out for a test ride on the interstate and found just what "modes" stated; the windshield is for looks. While the bike itself is very stable, the turbulence is noticeable with my helmet.
My windshield is stock and I find just as many have stated; headwinds, sidewinds and buffeting winds are mostly negated with the frame-fixed fairings. Instead of fighting them like a sail (you get that ache in between your shoulder blades), I find that I lock my throttle and only have 2 fingers (maybe thumb) to guide it down the road even on the windiest, blustery days (one hand). Currently completed a 3000 mile ride with my brother and his '15 UL. I didn't notice a lot of the winds out west until we pulled in to fuel; but he talked about them. I have two very seasoned riders in the chapter that because of extended interstate riding are now considering trading their steeds for RGs. You would think that because of the size of my stock windshield it would be affected in high winds; but it's unnoticeable.

Old 08-21-2015, 02:32 PM
modes
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruffinit
My first bike was an '80 FLT. Always loved the front jug/left side long azz true dual pipe on it because made for such a different look. Rear jug/right pipe loops forward over the timing cover then under and straight back, correct?

Adam

Old 08-21-2015, 02:40 PM
Coastal CVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 471 Likes on 278 Posts

Folks, we're riding motorcycles, there is going to be wind buffeting.

The Batwing transmits the buffeting to the front end (handlebars/forks) and the Shark transmits the buffeting to the frame. The forks are on a movable shaft, they are going to move.

The frame has more mass and will react less so if comparing bike stability, the Road Glide or Shark fairing is more stable.

Old 08-21-2015, 03:24 PM
woodreaux
Road Captain
Received 115 Likes on 85 Posts

I have a 13 RGU and prior to it owned several Rk and EG bikes.
Riding the new RG home the helmet buffeting was very noticeable and shortly afterwards I installed a Madstad windshield with a 14.5" windshield. No buffeting at all now unless in a cross wind.

Old 08-21-2015, 03:30 PM
Maddog94
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just traded up from at 2012 Road King Classic for a 2015 RGS. I road the RK with the stock windshield for three years and the last year I had a Woody's Fairing on it. I put 4,000 miles on the RGS out to Sturgis and back, and I can tell you the RGS is the best riding bike I have been on. I could sit on it all day and not get tired. I road in cross winds, head winds, rain storms and 38 degrees plus sleet on top of Beartooth Pass. Awesome bike!!!

I road with the stock windshield on the way out and had minor buffeting with my helmet on. I bought a Windvest 9" at the rally and it was worth it. I can ride with a hat on now and it won't even move up to about 75 mph.

Old 08-21-2015, 04:03 PM
Ruffinit
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's the other side. (Beartooth in the background)

Originally Posted by modes
My first bike was an '80 FLT. Always loved the front jug/left side long azz true dual pipe on it because made for such a different look. Rear jug/right pipe loops forward over the timing cover then under and straight back, correct?
Adam
Yes sir, you are correct. Attracts all kinds of attention especially by those who don't know what it is.

Old 08-21-2015, 04:21 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by Coastal CVO
Folks, we're riding motorcycles, there is going to be wind buffeting.

The Batwing transmits the buffeting to the front end (handlebars/forks) and the Shark transmits the buffeting to the frame. The forks are on a movable shaft, they are going to move.

The frame has more mass and will react less so if comparing bike stability, the Road Glide or Shark fairing is more stable.
wind and buffeting are two different animals. i'm lucky, I don't get buffeting with the 12'' windsplitter. but there are some folks that get so much buffeting that they can't even see straight. that's the kind of wind that people are trying to negate or at least minimize.

Old 08-21-2015, 05:11 PM
ultraclassic53
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you have to compare apples to apples. I would walk into the dealer and stress you are a serious buyer. I would wait till the 16's hit the floor and I would ask to test a limited and hopefully a Road Glide Ultra. Then you can answer the question yourself. I've owned both and I prefer the Glide. I'm tall so I like the stretched out feel of a glide. I get better wind management on a glide but im about function over cool. I've always set my windshield height so that the top of the shield is level with the tip of the nose.both type bikes have there positives. I'm just a glide guy

Quick Reply: Wind Buffeting and Road Glide