Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark Plug Wires

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 10:07 AM
bob53
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark Plug Wires

I have an 05 EGlide Std FI and I want to change the spark plug wires. Is there an easy way to do this without having to remove the fuel tank?? Is it possible to unbolt the tank and raise it just enough to get my hands in there to install the wires??

Old 05-02-2007, 10:16 AM
tgaetto
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Spark Plug Wires

It can be done by raising the tank but it will be an equal PIA! I have found that you can open up the right side cover and pull the fuel pump fuse and jump a wire from the batt to the yellow wire (If I remember correctly it is yellow) and pump the gas into a can.

Remember to pull the the fuel line at the throttle body and extend with a coupler and piece of hose. You can get this at the local hardware store

Old 05-02-2007, 10:17 AM
CndUltra95
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Bob, I'm hoping for the same thing.
An easier way to do it ( change wires that is )
but, from what I saw when I tried it is to make sure you have the least amount fo fuel in the tank ,
I was not successfull in doing it and have yet to try again, as I had a nearly full tank of fuel.
I am hoping that I could unbolt and lift the rear up a bit and the front as well to get to the plug wires.
This didnt answer your question, but might have offered a bit of motivation to do it to prove me wrong
Cheers and good luck.
Rob

Old 05-07-2007, 12:04 PM
bob53
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rob, just an update to your question. I replaced my spark plug wire without removing the tank. It was'nt that bad. It took me about an hour. Just unbolt the tank (front & rear). Move the tank to the left and remove the right side wire. I found it easier to remove the clips. This way you can attach the clips to the wire and attach the clip to the frame. Move the tank to the right and remove the left side wire. Alot of the work is done by feel since there is not alot of space to work. Small hands is a plus!

ORIGINAL: CndUltra88

Bob, I'm hoping for the same thing.
An easier way to do it ( change wires that is )
but, from what I saw when I tried it is to make sure you have the least amount fo fuel in the tank ,
I was not successfull in doing it and have yet to try again, as I had a nearly full tank of fuel.
I am hoping that I could unbolt and lift the rear up a bit and the front as well to get to the plug wires.
This didnt answer your question, but might have offered a bit of motivation to do it to prove me wrong
Cheers and good luck.
Rob