Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Audio System to Date !!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 09:03 PM
12HDSG
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Audio System to Date !!!

Finally... bit the bullet and spent the cash and installed the full BikeTronics setup on my SG...BT 4180 Amp, BT7P1 speakers in the fairing and BT 6x9" speakers in the bags with existing CVO lids and then a Kenwood Excelon 898 head unit with the Retro Radio install kit for continued handlebar operation...WOW...I think this is finally a sound system that will be my last and also handle the high volume on long hauls ( see previous posts for the journey I have made on other setups that were good but eventually failed) And if it doesn't , well everything has a lifetime guarantee ( except the HU ) so at least I won't be out any more $$$ to restore it...Thanks Biketronics / Bill for making a product you're not afraid to stand behind!! And because of their warranty/customer service it provided me the confidence to go ahead and make the leap and buy the whole system...Just wish I would have discovered BT before the previous setups...I hate to think of all that audio cash that just went out the back of the bike like spent exhaust )-:

However on the bright side...the power, fullness and the depth that you get in addition to the clarity is amazing on a bike even at high speed. ( now my wife doesn't ask me to "turn it up" anymore or say "I can't hear it"... She love's it btw...which helps to justify the cost...

I loved my Infinity Kappa's btw and still do, however I was afraid to push them with the 4180 ( since I do have a track record for blowing speakers - ( I'm 2 for 2 on the last 2 long trips in a row now)...which I maybe could have gotten away with based on other posts I've read on this forum, but the 7.1 do have more depth/fullness/base etc. than the Kappa's so I'm glad I went ahead and spent the extra $$$. for the new front speakers even though I didn't actually need them...Needless to say...LOL... I have some spare audio parts to sell if anyone interested...just pm me and make an offer...

Another notable observation which may be obvious to many but didn't really cross my mind... I noticed after running these for a few days, if you're running these bag speakers , make sure they stay clear in the bags...we went on a 2-1/2 hr river run Sunday and went to grab some gear out of the bags when we got home and the heat coming from the rear speaker magnets was incredible...more than I thought possible...too hot to leave your hand on for more than even 1 second...I never dreamed they would get that warm...Fortunately I didn't have much in the bags...but had I been going on a long road trip, I would have had them packed to the gills and may have had a real problem...like bags on fire!!! whew...dodged that bullet...

Old 08-17-2015, 09:39 PM
kryingame
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Congrats. Can't go wrong with the Biketronics system. Interesting point about the heat from the 6x9's. I have the pioneer 6x9's. The get warm but not the heat of the BJ's. Anyway enjoy.

Old 08-18-2015, 04:54 AM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 728 Likes on 487 Posts

The kappas can take a beating

Old 08-18-2015, 08:46 AM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

I never get tired of reading these reviews of BT. So many posts asking about audio and which company to go with, etc. should be reading these reviews.

Your rear speakers. What are your HU settings? For longer rides I raise the HPF settings on Kenwood 998 and eliminate some of the low end. Truth is that at 80mph on the highway you won't be able to hear any distortion coming from the rear 6X9's and will continue to ride for hours on end, possibly damaging the speaker. Riding around town, or short trips I leave it as is and crank the hell out of it!

Enjoy the sweet system man.