Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Sundowner or Mustang Seat????

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007 | 02:08 AM
PSO169
|
Road Master
Default HD Sundowner or Mustang Seat????

I was sure that I wanted a HD Sundowner Seat since I had one on my Road King. I never really thought about the Mustang Ultra seat but now I am starting to think about the Mustang seat. I was leaning towards the Sundowner since I have the ajustable backrest but after checking Mustang's website they state that you can use a HD or Mustang backrest. That really starts to change things up. Any imput would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jeff

Old 05-02-2007 | 11:34 AM
Unome
Ultimate HDF Member
Default RE: HD Sundowner or Mustang Seat????

Had a Sundowner on our '01 RK. While better than stock(what isn't?), after a long ride(200 miles or so), wife was sore and didn't want to ride anymore that day. And would be kind of hesitant the next day. And my butt wasn't in much better shape.

When I got the '04 EGC, I went with a Mustang(no backrest yet) and even swapped it to the '07 EGC we have now. Matter of fact, wife rode on stock seat on the '07 for about 20 miles and when we got home, told me to go ahead and put the Mustang on the bike.

Difference between 2 seats? Night and day. Wife has ridden on longer trips with Mustang in 1 day and is willing to ride more that same day.

I will tell you that when you first get the Mustang, it is hard as hell(well, it was to me) and takes about 1,000 miles to break in(easy to do since I ride every day). Once broken in, SWEET!!!

Some people have sent their seats into one of the sponsors - http://www.meancitycycles.com/-on here and had it trimmed and stuff for a lot less than a Mustang or Sundowner and swear by the guy's work.

Old 05-02-2007 | 12:08 PM
HogBoy
Outstanding HDF Member

I've had Mustang seat before and they're great. Have a Sundowner on this ride because I got it in a deal with a club member and was considerably less expensive than new. Seems to be a nice seat, but I don't have enough miles on it yet to make a determination which one is better. I know a lot of people have one or the other.

Old 05-02-2007 | 01:13 PM
harris48cars
Road Master

Everyones butt is different. I have the Mustang on my VTX and Sundowner on my RKC. The wife and I like both. She has a boney butt and says both seats are comfy. I difenitely like the Sundowner. I don't like the Harley backrest that I bought with the Sundowner and when I get a chance to sell it I will.
Gary

Old 05-02-2007 | 01:18 PM
PSO169
|
Road Master

Thanks for the input, I still am not sure which one to buy. I enjoyed the sundowner when I had it. I have been beating myself up with buying the Seat or Dresser Duals but realized that a better seat my make the trip better.

Thanks again
Jeff

Old 05-02-2007 | 01:49 PM
Unome
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: PSO169
I have been beating myself up with buying the Seat or Dresser Duals but realized that a better seat may make the trip better.
Not may, will.Nothing like riding 200 - 300 miles and feeling fine after compared to same trip and hardly able to get off bike.

If you buy direct from Mustang, I believe they allow you to use seat and return it as long as it shows no marks or wear from usage. Best to contact them to verify this.

Old 05-02-2007 | 03:46 PM
bobalou1999
Intermediate

Which seat will let you move further back?I'm 6'2" and removed the driver backrest on my 99Road King and still sit back on the seat strap.I've also have been trying to choose between the two.

Old 05-02-2007 | 04:33 PM
Unome
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: bobalou1999
Which seat will let you move further back?I'm 6'2" and removed the driver backrest on my 99Road King and still sit back on the seat strap.I've also have been trying to choose between the two.
I believe Mustang will move you up and forward about 1 inch.

Old 05-02-2007 | 07:46 PM
Seawolf
Tourer

I am happy with my Mustang touring seat. My wife is happy on the back and a happy wife means a good trip.

When I first got it I went from a Corbin, which was very hard. The Mustang did position me up a tad, but I got used to it.

Another seat to try is the HD reach seat. A friend of mine has that one and it is like sitting on a couch without looking like a huge pillow.