Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Frustrated w/ newly developed left tacking

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2015 | 10:22 AM
Eunoterpsia
|
Road Captain
Default Frustrated w/ newly developed left tacking

Dilemma: my bike at any speed tracks to the left :-(

I replaced all 6 wheel bearings, new ebc double H pads, new MC2's w/ ride-on.

I'm proud of my work but have a bad left tracking.

Interesting thing is I adjusted used the 10lb tool to adjust the belt tension but after the 10 mile ride to even out the ride-on the belt is too tight. So I will remove the right side pipe and adjust the belt again and resolve that issue and see if during this process I resolve the left tracking.

If that fails, I will check the fall away on the front. I've also read in here that someone had a right side fork pinch bolt that had broken which allowed the right side fork to drop enough to cause his issue.

It is frustrating.

Oh for what it is worth, there is nothing in either bag, no wallet issue, nothing attached to the handle bars and my bike tracked neutral before my work mentioned above.

Will post status as I try to eliminate the issue with each corrective action.

Any insight?

Old 08-16-2015 | 10:46 AM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior

I'm thinking you didn't get the rear wheel straight. Jack up the bike and spin the rear wheel while looking at the track of the belt on the rear sprocket. Adjust wheel until the belt is tracking as close to center between the two sides of the sprocket as you can while keeping the belt tension correct. When centered, tighten everything and go for a putt.at least that is how I do it and both mike bikes go dead straight. This how I fixed the same problem, for what it's worth!

Old 08-16-2015 | 11:12 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

don;t overlook weight in the saddlebags- make sure you are balanced left/right.

2 x 8' florescent light tubes are handy for alignment- place on each side of teh rear tire extending forward- distance from tube to front tire should be same on each side

3.) when pushed forwards the belt will track to the inside of the pulley...when pushed backwards, to the outside of the pulley.

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 08-16-2015 at 11:20 AM.
Old 08-16-2015 | 11:16 AM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member

Have you checked the front to rear alignment? Check out Glidepro.com and Jake has a video of how to check and adjust alignment even if you dont have the correct shop tools.

Old 08-16-2015 | 11:37 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Eunoterpsia
my bike tracked neutral before my work mentioned above.

Any insight?
It has been my experience that when an issue surfaces, immediately after doing some work on a vehicle, is directly related to something touched/changed/handled/adjusted.

That being said, I would recheck the alignment as others have suggested...

Old 08-17-2015 | 02:22 PM
Eunoterpsia
|
Road Captain
Default Big thanks Mike!

3.) when pushed forwards the belt will track to the inside of the pulley...when pushed backwards, to the outside of the pulley.

f'd with it long enough to your number 3 suggestion (as it seemed easiest to do) and BAM tracks neutral now!

Thanks you.

Unfortunately, while under the bike, I discovered what I feared most by virtue of sound while riding... My IPB ***** the bed. I know the sound and lumpy movement on the belt is coming from the front sprocket.

Looks like I will be pulling the primary. F me.