Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My RG is back in the shop

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 10:50 AM
Diverrick
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default My RG is back in the shop

I had the local dealer swap out the TBW on my handlebars to the new handlebars I was installing a while back. First ride after having them do the swap, I got the CEL coming on. Code was for issues with the cruise control. So I took it in. They kept it a couple of days and found they had installed the TBW improperly so it was a free repair for me. I brought it home and had not ridden it much due to the seat being sent out for custom work, and a long vacation. Got the seat back yesterday and took her for a ride... CEL is back on again, and once again it is the cruise control. Seems like it has been in the shop a lot lately. Of course they could not look at it yesterday when I left it for them, so maybe today I'll get the call. Wish they could look at it while I waited but they say they are slammed with work. Not a good reputation for Harley to have so many bikes in for repairs all the time.

I didn't feel so bad once I overheard the other guys problems. His starter had failed and the ring gear had multiple broken teeth. Motor was contaminated with metal That sounded Mucho expensive.

Old 08-15-2015, 11:13 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

Your Dealer and Harley-Davidson are not the same company.

If your Dealer is not living up to expectations, go elsewhere.

Take the time to look into other shops who may be more reliable

mike

Old 08-15-2015, 11:21 AM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 728 Likes on 487 Posts

Tbw isn't hard to install.. If a "shop" can't get it right then I'd go elsewhere

Old 08-15-2015, 03:22 PM
Diverrick
Tourer

I live out in the sticks so there are no reasonable other options without driving long distances. I called this AM and they told me they were to busy to speak to me, so I got in my car and drove down. They went over all the things I told them it was doing. They said they found nothing wrong, and that this stuff happens, but then they added, that they would not be giving my bike back until they find the problem. So I guess it is a wait and see thing now. They were going to drive it for a while and see if the fault comes back. The cruise control on two different occasions after the CEL comes on, goes full throttle, uncommanded. I think they are concerned with liability giving it back to me with that kind of problem. It shuts off fine by the switches, so I am not worried, but I would like to see it fixed once and for all. Guess I'll just have to be patient.

Old 08-15-2015, 03:35 PM
Diverrick
Tourer

I didn't have the tool to de pin the connector so I erred on the side of letting them do it, as they had the proper tools and had done it before. it was quicker.

Old 08-15-2015, 03:54 PM
EasternSP
Banned

Received 24,867 Likes on 9,332 Posts

You don't have to go to a Harley dealer for repairs. Any authorized indy can do the work to.

Old 08-15-2015, 07:03 PM
FlamedFXR
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,670 Likes on 700 Posts

I didn't feel so bad once I overheard the other guys problems. His starter had failed and the ring gear had multiple broken teeth. Motor was contaminated with metal That sounded Mucho expensive.[/QUOTE]

Hope you mis-heard this part. Would only affect the primary.

Old 08-15-2015, 07:12 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 192 Posts

1st time they screwed up, hopefully the second time they'll fix it. If not take it to another dealership, maybe Sacramento. If you take it to another dealership make sure they give you a detailed written explanation of what was needed to correct the problem & have the service manger call your dealership S/M. Maybe you'll get a store credit. But I wouldn't spend it until you have it in your hand. LOL. Good Luck.

Old 08-15-2015, 07:56 PM
Diverrick
Tourer

Ok I had not thought about a non HD repair shop. I'll have to ask around and see if there are any in my area. I called this afternoon to see if I could pick it up and they once again could not take my cal. Left a message for them to call, and no call back at all, and it is now 6 PM, I suspect they have all gone home until at least Monday, but I think the service shop is closed on Mondays. I am new to all of this, so learning is occurring.

Old 08-15-2015, 09:14 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

google shows a number of Independent ( "Indy") repair shops in your area.

Indy shops may be run by Guys who have more experience than a dealer is willing to pay...or they may be crap.
you'll be able to tell alot by the condition of the shop...is crap is laying all over the place, just leave.

dealers may have the advantage of a bright spark who is up on all the newest technology, but often lacks basic lessons learned by doing.

many dealers are part of a "group" which may own a bunch of motorcycle, marine or car dealers. there is lass accountability is these large groups and plenty turnover- wages may be low- anyone with a clue may well move on

ask other riders in your area who they use for service.

use the dealer for warranty work...other than that you will likely get better quality work at a lower cost at an indy.

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 08-15-2015 at 09:17 PM.

Quick Reply: My RG is back in the shop