Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advise on upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 12:13 AM
kpb46
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advise on upgrade

Just sold the Wing and the new Ultra is waiting in Mich. Can someone tell me what advantage(if any) true duals have over stock pipes with slip ons. Both having the AC upgrade and SERT (if necessary). I would like the bike to run and sounddecent. However it doesn't have to be the fastest in the group.

Thanks
Ken

Old 05-02-2007, 12:21 AM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Need advise on upgrade

I'd say none.

If you get a good set of slip-ons like SuperTrapps / D&D / Hooker.... the performance will be better than the duals.

Old 05-02-2007, 12:24 AM
The Pawnbroker
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I went to my dealer and told them I wanted a little more low end torque, a little more sound (not much), and for it to run a little cooler. They set me up with SE (touring) slip ons, a high capacity air cleaner, and a higher performance ECM download. This definitely improved the performance (torque comes on at 2000 RPM now), and improved the sound but only when accelerating. At idle, it sounds almost the same as stock. I am very happy. As far as true duals, you can sometimes lose low end torque with too big a drop in backpressure. Someone with more knowledge about this should be able to give you more info on this.

Dave.

ps It runs noticably cooler also.

Old 05-02-2007, 12:29 AM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

On a basically stock bike you are not going to see much difference with thrue duals, you will probably feel the bike is running better, but it is more due to better intake and tuning. True duals can build HPif the engine is built, freer breathing but the increase usually shows up in the higher RPM range. Don't not go with em if that is the look you want, a I have run them for years and have not been disappointed. I have them on my new ride, but am switching over to 2 into 1 system to bring the rpm in which the peak torque is down in the rpm range and to flatten the torque curve.

Pipe choices are very personal, you wont find many on this forum who haven't change pipes at least once, if not many more times than that.

Old 05-02-2007, 12:39 AM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

First off - WELCOME TO THE OTHER SIDE
Being an Ol' X-Winger Myself (but have always had a HD or 2 in the garage also...)
I would recommend Mufflers\Slip-On over a complete system change... However Your Putt's SOUND is a "ME THING" and you should look and hear what "YOU" like and go from there - Visit a Local HD event and when you hear one that rattles in your ear - Go talk to that person and get the skinny...
I've know lots of people that have went through many exhaust changes to find what THEY wanted... Save few $$$ and just listen... Ask & then buy...

Old 05-02-2007, 08:09 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I also hear that with the true duals, it makes any heat issue, less of an issue. For me, I love the look. And at this point, being new to Harley's, the look is what I am after. At some point, it will be more on performance, but in my head, I have a picture of what a Harley is, and until I get there (andI am close), that is my main focus. JMHO

[IMG]local://upfiles/12433/0E34D27090AB4689B7477855EABFE285.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-02-2007, 08:43 AM
jmbear328
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got a set of the H-D Touring street performance slipons, and I really liked the looks of them but they were just too quiet for me. I removed the baffles and they now sound great. I would now say that now they are not as loud as some of my friends Rush slipons or the older S/E slipons, but I really like them. I also had my dealer install the H-D stage II 103" kit along with the download. I plan on buying a SERT when they are available again, and will probably go with a good 2into1 system for the performace gains, even though I do like the looks of the true dual setup.

John

Old 05-02-2007, 09:25 AM
jbpence
Novice

where did you buy it in michigan? Motor City Harley (farmington mi, northwest side of detroit) has lots of paiirs of the 2006 (louder than 2007) screaming eagle slip ons. they stocked up when they heard about the quiter 2007 models.

Old 05-02-2007, 10:45 AM
kpb46
Road Master

Was talking to Motor City. But then heard that American in Ann Arbor was having an open house and giving away a $1000 Harley gift card with the purchase. That should HELP pay for some of this STUFF that has to be added to a brand new $20,000 bike in order for it to run proper. But hey, nobody forced me to do anything.

Ken

Old 05-06-2007, 09:37 AM
jbpence
Novice

and at Motor city in farmington, you can always negotiate the 1000.00 in ad ons. they start at offering you 500.00, baulk at 1500.00, settle at 1000.00. they have been great to me.

Quick Reply: Need advise on upgrade