Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advise on upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 10:23 AM
SGLarry
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Need advise on upgrade

Just something to think about :-) I did an interesting experiment this past week.....Over the past year I read a ton of threads on true duals and read in between the lines, the general concensus is theat they rob torque and power compared to the stock headers. I even talked to some tuners in my area and they did agree...they get better numbers with the stocks headers and slip-ons than they do with true duals ( Actually when you look at the stockers they are more of "hybrid" a 2-1 design - which are the best performers.) I had the TD's put on when the bike was new ( The parts guy talked me into them) and never used the stock headers. The bike has 8k on it now. My thoughts were, if the bike runs good with the TD's, then it should even run better with the stock headers.Well, I put them onlast weekand did notice big difference! The bike runs much smoother and with much less vibration and has more power and torque. I didn't change the original mapping atall. Now the sound IS different mind you, not quite as loud, deeper, and a more mellow "throaty" or "hollow" sound. It's still deep and fairly loud, just different (The true duals have a more crisp or "harsh" sound.) I actually prefer the sound better with the stock headers.AND I really did not notice any more heat - I do have RJ's Original Heat Shields.

Larry

Old 05-06-2007, 10:25 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

SGLarry, you interested in selling those true dual pipes?

Old 05-06-2007, 10:32 AM
SGLarry
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I also have read abot the "y" pipe cracking on the stockers after racking up some miles. I'm gonna keep on the shelve just in case.....<G>

Old 05-06-2007, 10:34 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I understand. I have read the same thing. Hopefully, the crackingisn't a probelm for either of us. Just fishin'.

Old 05-06-2007, 10:37 AM
Floridafred
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: The Pawnbroker

I went to my dealer and told them I wanted a little more low end torque, a little more sound (not much), and for it to run a little cooler. They set me up with SE (touring) slip ons, a high capacity air cleaner, and a higher performance ECM download. This definitely improved the performance (torque comes on at 2000 RPM now), and improved the sound but only when accelerating. At idle, it sounds almost the same as stock. I am very happy. As far as true duals, you can sometimes lose low end torque with too big a drop in backpressure. Someone with more knowledge about this should be able to give you more info on this.

Dave.

ps It runs noticably cooler also.
This sounds like what I would like to do on my 07 RG. I've been considering several mods but in reality I'm pretty happy with the bike. I think in many cases less is best. What is the ballpark cost on something like this? Did you notice any change in gas mileage?
Fred