Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crap front wheel bearing shot

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 09:39 AM
lt1-xjs
Road Master
Received 68 Likes on 65 Posts

Harley revised the non abs bearing, the part changed from a 9276 to the 9276a. Aftermarket would 6205- 2rs SKF, NACHI etc. However, I would use the Harley abs bearing.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:46 AM
IrishHogtrotter
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Replaced all mine when the front went @ 5k, rear @ 10k on a 2009 EG. Revised part number or not I would use ANYTHING other than HD for the non abs bearing, as they darn near killed me when the front bearing collapsed in a corner at 65 mph.

I choose allballs, and HD for the ABS (no other choice). The original bearing I wouldn't put in a wheelbarrow.

The 'you must have used a power hose' is a cop out.....what happens when your driving in rain at 70 mph? Do you have to pull in and wait for it to stop??

I have ridden bikes for 45 years, and some real dogs as well, and NEVER had a wheel bearing fail. The bikes fitted with these should have been recalled and bearings replaced, as it a life threatening failure when it goes.

Old 08-13-2015, 02:47 PM
lt1-xjs
Road Master

That's why I used the 1" axle and bearings on my 2014 Enforcer wheel.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:01 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

lt1, isn't the 1" bearing too wide? I read somewhere the 25mm are single roller an the 1" are double roller. I bought some 25mm V rod muscle wheels for my 02 an used replacement bearings the same outer size as the 25's but with 1" inner. I'd love to find a 1" bearing that fits the pocket.

I thought the 25mm bearings I removed from the muscle wheels felt heavy duty an looks/felt solid.

Old 08-14-2015, 07:36 AM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Without belittling anyone, wheel bearings dont just all of a sudden FAIL, they develop play, then abnormal wear pattern, to the point of rapid wear then to the point of failure.
After reading all about these new bearings I recommend inspecting play at least every oil change.

Old 08-14-2015, 12:13 PM
lt1-xjs
Road Master

Originally Posted by langwilliams
lt1, isn't the 1" bearing too wide? I read somewhere the 25mm are single roller an the 1" are double roller. I bought some 25mm V rod muscle wheels for my 02 an used replacement bearings the same outer size as the 25's but with 1" inner. I'd love to find a 1" bearing that fits the pocket.

I thought the 25mm bearings I removed from the muscle wheels felt heavy duty an looks/felt solid.
I use the Harley 9247 bearings. Yes they are wider but fit the pocket just fine. They are double sealed and can last over 100k miles.

Old 08-14-2015, 01:01 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,633 Likes on 1,628 Posts

before installing these new 25mm bearings pop one side of the seal out and pack the thing with some grease. when they make these junk bearings they don't put much grease in them at all. the seals pop in and not ,no big deal.

Old 08-14-2015, 02:19 PM
Sparkee...
Road Master
Received 227 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by bagman1
Without belittling anyone, wheel bearings dont just all of a sudden FAIL, they develop play, then abnormal wear pattern, to the point of rapid wear then to the point of failure.
After reading all about these new bearings I recommend inspecting play at least every oil change.
I have been finding these bearing failures as a part of my routine maintenance. The fact is they should not fail this fast. You shouldn't have to take a new bearing apart to add grease, try telling a tech to do this when he is replacing them on warranty.

I had a tech tell me to change them when I change tires. The front bearing on my bike didn't even last half the life of the front tire. And if you have to change bearings every tire change how long before the bearing housing in the wheels gets out of spec and wore out from the constant changing?

On a new $30,000 touring bike, or any bike for that matter, you shouldn't have to worry about a bearing failing part way through a trip even though you put a new set in before you start your trip.

Old 08-14-2015, 02:55 PM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

09 Road King with 11k miles, been lucky since then 90k miles on two different bikes and I've not had any problems since the first failure. I do check for any sign of problems, wish I didn't have too.

Original thread I started

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ase-marks.html

Old 08-15-2015, 07:45 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,633 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Originally Posted by Sparkee...
I have been finding these bearing failures as a part of my routine maintenance. The fact is they should not fail this fast. You shouldn't have to take a new bearing apart to add grease, try telling a tech to do this when he is replacing them on warranty.

I had a tech tell me to change them when I change tires. The front bearing on my bike didn't even last half the life of the front tire. And if you have to change bearings every tire change how long before the bearing housing in the wheels gets out of spec and wore out from the constant changing?

On a new $30,000 touring bike, or any bike for that matter, you shouldn't have to worry about a bearing failing part way through a trip even though you put a new set in before you start your trip.
i agree! your life depends on these crap bearings. harley should be made to replace all these substandard bearings at their cost. wonder how many people have been hurt by this junk.

Quick Reply: Crap front wheel bearing shot