Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 02:01 PM
SARGE103
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch issue

I Have a 2011 SG and I have been noticing especially in1st gear when I let out on the clutch and start to accelerate it kind pops into gear with a delayed jolt, I was just wondering if this is normal operationor do I need to adjust it. The other 5gears it seems to engage quickly. Anyhelp would be appreciated.

Old 08-11-2015, 02:10 PM
Coastal CVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 471 Likes on 278 Posts

That does not sound like normal operation to me, it's very hard to tell what is going on via someone describing in this manner but you might want to have that checked (sooner rather than later).

Old 08-11-2015, 02:18 PM
SARGE103
6th Gear

yeah I wish I could describe it in more detail but its just a feeling of it hesitation and then sharp engagement when I first let out on the clutch. and like I said only starting out in first gear.

Old 08-11-2015, 02:26 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by SARGE103
I Have a 2011 SG and I have been noticing especially in1st gear when I let out on the clutch and start to accelerate it kind pops into gear with a delayed jolt, I was just wondering if this is normal operationor do I need to adjust it. The other 5gears it seems to engage quickly. Anyhelp would be appreciated.
=================

Well since you say its happening after you have already got the trans into 1st gear and have started to engage the clutch to get the bike moving / under way and ("not when 1st putting trans into 1st gear where you often get a big clunk and maybe even slight lurch ahead for a quick moment when cold on a HD" ) that you might have an issue with either excessive primary chain slop & or the compensator is going bad or both .

Could also be an issue with clutch cable and or release bearing for clutch sticking / getting hung up when releasing clutch handle to engage clutch making overall clutch engagement not smooth.

Scott

Last edited by wscott; 08-11-2015 at 02:36 PM.
Old 08-11-2015, 02:26 PM
journeyman
Road Master
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Your clutch is slipping.
What kind of oil are you using in your primary?
Synthetic oil has been known to contribute to that symptom.

Old 08-11-2015, 02:29 PM
SARGE103
6th Gear

Originally Posted by journeyman
Your clutch is slipping.

I haven't changed the oil yet I picked the bike up 2 months ago from the dealership.

Old 08-11-2015, 02:51 PM
wscott
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by journeyman
Your clutch is slipping.
===================

Maybe you missed what the OP stated i pasted below.

" then sharp engagement when I first let out on the clutch "

Thats not normally a symptom of clutch slipping then catching up later when it finally fully engages /locks up esp in lowest / 1st gear.

When a clutch is slipping you dont get the " sharp engagement " and or sharp hit when bike gets under way in 1st gear as clutch is engaged like the op described is happening.

And if a clutch and or clutch spring is so shot that its slipping trying to get under way in 1st gear the clutch would not likely ever fully grip in higher gears either and slip all the time in all gears which isnt happening from what op stated.

But you never know because i have found over the yrs helping guys out online with mech issues that sometimes the op's dont properly describe whats really going on and you might have in fact hit it right on target with clutch slipping!/LOL!!!

Guess we will have wait & see what op says was the root cause when he gets it fixed.

Scott

Old 08-11-2015, 02:53 PM
SARGE103
6th Gear

Made an appt at the earliest date the 24th at the dealership. See what they come up with

Old 08-11-2015, 02:55 PM
wscott
Road Warrior

Another thing that could maybe cause his problem is worn drive belt with a cog or cogs worn down & or actually broken off causing the issue he's having with " Sharp engagement " getting under way in 1st gear.

Scott

Old 08-11-2015, 03:00 PM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,594 Likes on 974 Posts

I'd say sticking clutch cable or loose primary chain... what do I win if I'm right? haha

Quick Reply: Clutch issue