Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 03:03 PM
SARGE103
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe12RK
I'd say sticking clutch cable or loose primary chain... what do I win if I'm right? haha
A hearty thank you ! Lol!

Old 08-11-2015, 03:19 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by SARGE103
Made an appt at the earliest date the 24th at the dealership. See what they come up with
=====================

The 24th / 13days away,thats sucks!!!!

I see your in CT,was just on rt7 on Sunday.

If you have the time ,dont mind the ride and dont want to wait 13 days to get the bike checked out & fixed you could try Woodstock HD on rt28 in woodstock NY .

I suggest that because i got an appt there 3 days after i called for an appt to get front wheel bearings replaced under ESP.

They make appts where you show up at a pre-determined /sch'd time so out of towners can wait to have their bike evaluated/diagnosed and fixed all at the same time.

There is food avail @ a Bestro thats a 3min walk for breakfast , lunch etc.

Look them up online for phone # if your interested in not waiting 13 days & want to get the bike fixed sooner.

Heck,to gewt 1 up on it you could ask woodstock HD to only diagnose but not disassemble bike if possible to locate the problem so bike is still rideable to get back home .

Then if they have part on hand to fix and can do the same day your there go for it.

But after they diagnose the problem and find they cant fix it the same day due to needing parts ordered or taking too long to fix in time left that day you would at least know what the root cause of the problem is .

Then you could have them order the parts required to fix it and have them sent to your house or the HD dealer closer to you to them fix it on the 8/24 appt you have.

Doing that would put you way ahead of the game by either getting it fixed same day at Woodstock hd or by having it diagnosed much earlier @ woodstock hd so you can then skip diagnostic the step on the 8/24 appt maybe having to wait to order parts and make another appt later to fix when parts come in and get to fixing it right off the bat on 8/24 saving a lot of time in getting it fixed .

Woodstock hd could be as little as 1.5hrs away to 2.5-3+ hrs away from you depending on where you are in CT.

There is another HD shop that may be a bit closer to you thats in Neburgh NY ,but i never got a good feeling about that place the few times i was actually there which is why i am not rec you chk it out.

But what ever you decide to do pls dont forget to come back to update this post with what the problem and fix was for your bike so we can all learn from what symptoms was to what actual problem & fix was for future ref.

Good luck

Scott

Last edited by wscott; 08-11-2015 at 03:28 PM.
Old 08-11-2015, 03:31 PM
SARGE103
6th Gear

I will look into that now does anybody know if clutch issues are covered under the warranty I got the extended warranty since I just picked up the bike 60 days ago

Old 08-11-2015, 03:32 PM
wscott
Road Warrior

A hearty thank you ! Lol!
==================

HEY,THATS NOT RIGHT!!!

I HIT BOTH THOSE ITEMS (LOOSE PRIM CHAIN OR STICKING CLUTCH CABLE ) BEFORE THIS GUY DID !

Just busting chops!

I hope its something as simple and cheap as a worn sticky clutch cable.

Scott

Old 08-11-2015, 03:39 PM
wscott
Road Warrior

I will look into that now does anybody know if clutch issues are covered under the warranty I got the extended warranty since I just picked up the bike 60 days ago
========================

Just as long as you already put on the required " 300 miles " post getting the esp on a used bike like woodstock HD told me i had to do before the new ESP i just bought would kick in then yes it should be covered for what ever the mechanical issue is.

So be aware that may come to play if you havent put on the required 300miles yet post getting the ESP.

BTW,i just got an ESP 7/15 on the 09 i bought 11/2014 ,it had approx 13k miles on it when i got the esp on it & already had to use it for new front wheel bearings.

And now i have another issue with something vibrating like heck at times coming thru handlebars and front footboards almost like the motor is vibrating directly on the frame someplace up front.

I am thinking maybe 1 or both of the 2 front motor mount-s are going bad or bushings in stabilizer bar attached to front of rocker cover on front cyl is going bad.

And that where the ESP will come in handy again !

With what can happen to these HD's & cost for expensive parts high labor charge to repair with the mech/elec issues these bike seem to have at times from all the posts i see here in HDforums often showing those issues i also felt the ESP is the way to go.

Scott

Last edited by wscott; 08-11-2015 at 03:48 PM.
Old 08-11-2015, 03:41 PM
SARGE103
6th Gear

Great good to know

Old 08-11-2015, 03:51 PM
Dan.1977P
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have a torque wrench, torx bits and a jack, you could at least check to see if the primary chain is too loose pretty easily. I'd get a new inspection port gasket for a couple bucks just to make sure you don't get any leaks. While you are in there, you could easily make the adjustment too.

Edit:
I just realized that this is an 11 SG. Don't those have autoadjusters that you can force to tighten somehow? I've heard the stock adjusters have pretty big margins before they make the next adjustment compared to aftermarket ones. Unless you happen to be right at the end of that margin, I would suspect the autoadjuster would rule out chain slap.
Either way, I would be checking the primary and adjusting the clutch at the handlebars and the hub so I could make sure the disks are all still in tact and not showing signs of slippage.

Old 08-11-2015, 04:42 PM
SARGE103
6th Gear

I'll be honest I'm new to hd, I'm coming off metric cruisers

Old 08-11-2015, 05:45 PM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

I Have a 2011 SG and I have been noticing especially in1st gear when I let out on the clutch and start to accelerate it kind pops into gear with a delayed jolt, I was just wondering if this is normal operationor do I need to adjust it. The other 5gears it seems to engage quickly. Anyhelp would be appreciated.
I read the other comments and just thought of this.Check or have checked the tightness of the rear sprocket bolts. When you slow to a stop while down shifting, you load the sprocket opposite of the engine driving it from a stop. Perhaps the load is making the sprocket shift on the bolts and clunk. So when you take back off, it may be re-shifting the sprocket until it bottoms against the bolts. It sounds like something is shifting on take-off and many sprocket bolts have been sheared over the years. Sure won't hurt to check that.

Old 08-11-2015, 05:50 PM
SARGE103
6th Gear

I'll take a look at those bolts

Quick Reply: Clutch issue