Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slip On Exhaust Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 04:32 PM
Airborne06
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Slip On Exhaust Problem

Greetings!

I have an issue with my Screaming Eagle slip on exhaust pipes that is very frustrating, and quite frankly very confusing. My bike is a 2011 Ultra Limited.

This morning I removed my SE Street Cannons, and attempted to replace them with the slip on pipes I had on previously: SE Diffusion Disc pipes (part #80847-10).
The HD dealership removed the SE Diffusion Disc pipes about 18 months ago, boxed them up, and installed the Street Cannons. The boxed up pipes they removed have been sitting in my garage until this morning when I tried to install them.

I removed the Street Cannons easily, and tried to slip on the SE Diffusion Disc pipes. As with every other exhaust pipe I have ever installed, the right side pipe (and sometimes left as well) has an indentation to accommodate the right side axle nut protruding outward. However, neither of the Diffusion Disc pipes had this indentation. So...I guessed that perhaps one of the pipes was narrower than the other. I was wrong...they are identical.

I attempted to install each pipe on the right side, but they each contacted the axle nut. I can't see how they would slip on without the indentation.

SO...either I am totally inept (it's possible, but I have removed/installed countless pipes over the years), or the dealership mixed my pipes up with others they may have had, and gave me two left pipes that don't have the indentation.

Hopefully someone out there has these pipes and can tell me if there is, in fact, an indentation on the right side pipe...or can tell me what I am doing wrong.

Wanted to check here first before I go to the dealership and make some wild allegation that they will likely deny anyway.

Thanks in advance and best regards! A06

P.S. I also posted this in Tech Tips, but there doesn't seem to be much action over there.

Last edited by Airborne06; 08-10-2015 at 05:06 PM.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:39 PM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I don't know this specific muffler, and will assume they are 3.5" muffler. If so they will likely not have the dimples.

It could be as easy and twisting your muffler one direction or another away from the nut to make clearance. Once clearance has been established tighten them up.

Old 08-10-2015, 04:52 PM
Frigeratorman
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Airborne06
Greetings!

I have an issue with my Screaming Eagle slip on exhaust pipes that is very frustrating, and quite frankly very confusing. My bike is a 2011 Ultra Limited.

This morning I removed my SE Street Cannons, and attempted to replace them with the slip on pipes I had on previously: SE Diffusion Disc pipes (part #80847-10).
The HD dealership removed the SE Diffusion Disc pipes about 18 months ago, boxed them up, and installed the Street Cannons. The boxed up pipes they removed have been sitting in my garage until this morning when I tried to install them.

I removed the Street Cannons easily, and tried to slip on the SE Diffusion Disc pipes. As with every other exhaust pipe I have ever installed, the right side pipe (and sometimes left as well) has an indentation to accommodate the right side axle nut protruding outward. However, neither of the Diffusion Disc pipes had this indentation. So...I guessed that perhaps one of the pipes was narrower than the other. I was wrong...they are identical.

I attempted to install each pipe on the right side, but they each contacted the axle nut. I can't see how they would slip on without the indentation.

SO...either I am totally inept (it's possible, but I have removed/installed countless pipes over the years), or the dealership mixed my pipes up with others they may have had, and gave me two left pipes that don't have the indentation.

Hopefully someone out there has these pipes and can tell me if there is, in fact, and indentation on the right side pipe...or can tell me what I am doing wrong.

Wanted to check here first before I go to the dealership and make some wild allegation that they will likely deny anyway.

Thanks in advance and best regards! A06

P.S. I also posted this in Tech Tips, but there doesn't seem to be much action over there.

Wish I could do more to help you A06.
It does sound like they may have given you 2 left side pipes.
If it is as you say, that you've tried all ways to make them fit, it's got to be the reason.
Good luck in getting answers from the dealer.
Bring the evidence, in the box, with their sealing tape, like it had been for 18 months.
Cheers........

Old 08-10-2015, 05:09 PM
Airborne06
Tourer

Originally Posted by Pumba11
I don't know this specific muffler, and will assume they are 3.5" muffler. If so they will likely not have the dimples.

It could be as easy and twisting your muffler one direction or another away from the nut to make clearance. Once clearance has been established tighten them up.

Thanks for the response Pumba! I have tried twisting the mufflers, pulling them back a bit, and doing everything except getting out the big hammer to make them fit...ha! I guess I will take them to the dealer and see what they say. Thanks again!

Old 08-10-2015, 05:11 PM
Airborne06
Tourer

Originally Posted by Frigeratorman
Wish I could do more to help you A06.
It does sound like they may have given you 2 left side pipes.
If it is as you say, that you've tried all ways to make them fit, it's got to be the reason.
Good luck in getting answers from the dealer.
Bring the evidence, in the box, with their sealing tape, like it had been for 18 months.
Cheers........
Hey Fridge! Thanks for the moral support....and yes, I am headed to the dealer one day this week to see what they say about this. I may not be the best mechanic out there (and never claimed to be), but I can install slip-ons with the best of them!

Thanks again!

Old 08-10-2015, 05:18 PM
Tracker56
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Is your bike up on a lift? If so, try installing them while sitting on the ground. Just a thought...

Old 08-10-2015, 05:22 PM
Airborne06
Tourer

Originally Posted by Tracker56
Is your bike up on a lift? If so, try installing them while sitting on the ground. Just a thought...
That's a great observation/idea...and yes, my bike was on my lift. You have certainly given me something else to try....stay tuned, and THANKS!

A06

Old 08-10-2015, 07:37 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

As the suspension sags, the nut will move away from the muffler.

Old 08-10-2015, 07:48 PM
fullautomike
Road Master
Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
As the suspension sags, the nut will move away from the muffler.
Same thing happens in the heat!

Sorry, couldn't resist, but SafteyMan is correct

Old 08-10-2015, 08:08 PM
NODYNA
Road Warrior
Received 873 Likes on 516 Posts

Both mufflers should have Screamin Eagle script on one side. That determines which side they go on.

Quick Reply: Slip On Exhaust Problem