Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drivers Backrest - Adjustable or Fixed

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007 | 07:34 PM
Rocket Jockey
|
Tourer
Default Drivers Backrest - Adjustable or Fixed

I am thinking about adding an HD backrest to my RG for longer trips. Just wondering about others preference to the adjustable versus fixed. It seems like it would be a set-it-and-forget-it kind of thing but I don't ride with one so...????

Thanks,
RJ

Old 05-01-2007 | 07:39 PM
alexcue
Road Master
Default RE: Drivers Backrest - Adjustable or Fixed

I haven't tried a non-adjustable, but one thing i notice with my adjustable is it makes mounting a lot easier since it folds down when i want to sit on the bike. You are right tho it is set it and forget it, 'cause i haven't moved it since i adjusted it to my preference. ( I assume the "fixed" doesn't fold down btw).

I highly recommend it also, as it helps my posture, and keeps the lower back pain away quite a bit.

Old 05-01-2007 | 08:26 PM
jmbear328
Road Warrior

Well I got the non adjustable and you can adjust the angle with an allen wrench at the rear and it has 3 different height adjustments. I take mine on and off alot so it worked out good because I dont have to deal with the cable and adjuster when I remove it, and its gonna be just as comfy as the adjustable one once you get it where you like it at.

John

Old 05-01-2007 | 08:36 PM
Law Dawg
Road Warrior

I have an adjustable "when I use it" when I am riding solo for a distance I'll use the backrest but when momma's onboard can't, instead I use her as a backrest.

Old 05-01-2007 | 08:39 PM
lenrough
Road Master

Adjustable! If ya get a little tweak in your back, you don't have to pull over, bust out the tool bag - uh or take it to the dealer if you're not mechanically inclined - and make adjustments. Just pull on the little lever (you gotta take your hand off the throttle) and the puppy moves right in to position. Itsa beautiful thing.

Old 05-01-2007 | 08:56 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member

Adjustable, and the wife loves it, says she feels more secure (locked in place) with it on.

I made a cable modification so I did not have to have the cable and adjuster showing under the seat fron, used a heavy duty tie strap to the adjuster lever, then looped it and riveted the loop so it is hidden in the seat opening. Not wuite as easy to adjust while riding, but very easy to adjust off the bike.

Old 05-01-2007 | 09:46 PM
wldbill
Road Master

Did a 350 mile "Lunch Ride" yesterday and adjusted my backrest at least 3 times on the fly. It's the only way to go. Did the the install myself and the cabling wasn't any big deal.

Old 05-01-2007 | 10:29 PM
Fast Eddie
Road Captain

Adjustable. You canadjustit while riding and keep the comfort factor up.

[IMG]local://upfiles/21029/C2519B775AFE4B129F81068F1A329429.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-02-2007 | 01:13 AM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member

Got the adj one just cause felt like it wasnt that much more $. Was not realy shure if I would use the adj. well 4 months and 4k and I am glad I went for it thow, not like jump up and down glad just seems to feel I made the right choice as of today.

Old 05-02-2007 | 01:28 AM
serverpimp
Cruiser

I have the adjustable and love it. It slides out easy when I have the better half on the bike. One downside on the adjustable. The 'adjuster' and the heat guards are incompatible in some if not all cases. The heat guards cover over the adjuster. The newheat guards from HD plainly state they won't work with the adjustable seat. If you don't have an 07 then you probably haven't even considered the heat guards.

Quick Reply: Drivers Backrest - Adjustable or Fixed