Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drivers Backrest - Adjustable or Fixed

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007 | 02:04 AM
PSO169
Road Master
Default RE: Drivers Backrest - Adjustable or Fixed

I spent the ext $$$ on the adjustable and I am glad that I spent the money. Sometimes I ride to my off duty jobs in full uniform with gun belt and all , and it is nice to be able to move the backrest. Sometimes it is nice to move it up for a little more support.
Jeff

Old 05-02-2007 | 02:29 AM
BrianDamage
Cruiser

so are yall saying if your wife's on the back, you have to nix the rider's backrest? I thought these were designed so that you could use them with a passenger?

Old 05-02-2007 | 02:44 AM
ROLLNTIGER
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: BrianDamage

so are yall saying if your wife's on the back, you have to nix the rider's backrest? I thought these were designed so that you could use them with a passenger?
I guess it would really be up to her. My wife rides with mine on all the time. I never take it off.Let her ride with and without and see how she feels.

Old 05-02-2007 | 02:55 AM
The Pawnbroker
Road Captain

I would recommend the adjustable. For me it is not an adjust and forget deal. I find that on a longer ride, I use two different positions. It helps a lot to be able to change between them.

ps This is one of the best options I have ever had on a bike. I won't be without one from now on.

Old 05-02-2007 | 03:01 AM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

ORIGINAL: alexcue

I haven't tried a non-adjustable, but one thing i notice with my adjustable is it makes mounting a lot easier since it folds down when i want to sit on the bike. You are right tho it is set it and forget it, 'cause i haven't moved it since i adjusted it to my preference. ( I assume the "fixed" doesn't fold down btw).

I highly recommend it also, as it helps my posture, and keeps the lower back pain away quite a bit.
The fixed one folds down too, just an FYI. If it doesn't, I'd still be trying to figure out how to get on!

I bought the fixed one, the extra $100 just didn't seem worth it to me. I haven't had any problems with mine, long or short trips.

Old 05-02-2007 | 01:38 PM
alqaadir
Tourer

Adjustable is the way to go. Shop at one of the 20% off harley dealers and the little extra is well worth it.

Old 05-02-2007 | 02:29 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member

I have the non-adjustable and it works fine. I didn't even realize that you could angle the backrest forward and backward with a screw in the back until one of the guys on the group told me. DOH! After I adjusted it, it was even better!

Old 05-02-2007 | 06:40 PM
alexcue
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Cryptoboy

ORIGINAL: alexcue

I haven't tried a non-adjustable, but one thing i notice with my adjustable is it makes mounting a lot easier since it folds down when i want to sit on the bike. You are right tho it is set it and forget it, 'cause i haven't moved it since i adjusted it to my preference. ( I assume the "fixed" doesn't fold down btw).

I highly recommend it also, as it helps my posture, and keeps the lower back pain away quite a bit.
The fixed one folds down too, just an FYI. If it doesn't, I'd still be trying to figure out how to get on!

I bought the fixed one, the extra $100 just didn't seem worth it to me. I haven't had any problems with mine, long or short trips.
that's good to know... Tho i've gotten good at the left foot shuffle, while mounting the bike.

Old 05-02-2007 | 07:01 PM
jaymcgil19
Tourer

I just purchased the fixed one and am very happy with it. Went for two 250mi runs and my back felt great during and after the rides. Also the way the the back rest mounts at a forward angle, you can not only adjust it up and down but forward and back by just moving it in and out without touching a wrench.

Old 05-02-2007 | 07:09 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member

i have non-adjustable (fixed)...you are able to control i beleave 3 height levels and there is an allen screw hole in the back for angle adjustment..you are able to fold it down to make passenger boarding easier...the "fixed" or non-adjustable is a set-it and forget-it type of thing for me...you must adjust it off the bike..after a few minutes you should be able to adjust it to your conditions the first time after install...about 1 or 2 minutes to remove and put away when not in use...or to throw in the side bag if theft is concern...back of it has an elastic pocket to put stuff in..
***NOTE* expect to spend half a saturday to install. it yourself

Quick Reply: Drivers Backrest - Adjustable or Fixed