Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear brake light switch

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 11:12 PM
VB2KDH
Road Master
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 269 Likes on 89 Posts

Apologies for the very late update....
Took bike to dealer to inquire about any recalls, nope. While there, it was noticed state inspection was due.
Made the decision to have them R&R switch, flush out the 7 year old fluid, perform the ABS check and do the state inspection. $150 and 1.5 hrs later, rode away.

Old 06-05-2016, 12:20 PM
wagsrk08
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by VB2KDH
Have 08 Ultra with ABS. Rear Brake light does not work using foot brake but does work when using hand brake. Appears I need to replace rear brake light switch. Currently on road trip, therefore I do not have service manual with me. Access to switch appears easy. Will I need to bleed brakes or because of having ABS will I need to have shop do the work?
Same problem the other day with my 08 FLHR w/ABS brakes. Bought new switch and kit, bled brakes and back in business within hour. This thread has been very helpful since the factory Maintenance Manual says you have to re-flash system when bleeding brakes if you have ABS. You don't I've found out. Also checked with my indy before hand and they said no also. Good to know I have brake light when only using foot pedal. Could get rear ended easily by some bozo..... New part was $25 out the door at stealer.

Old 06-07-2016, 07:38 PM
Timmy_J
Stage IV
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, just washed the brake fluid from hands. Read about using a brake switch from a 1971 VW. It works! Didn't have to bleed just do a quick switch, no pun intended. The head of the VW switch is a bit larger but the cost was worth it. Now I ride a HDVW. 😊

Old 06-08-2016, 07:15 AM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Beatz
Just changed mine. They do go bad. Was $12 or so from Dennis Kirk. If it has never been changed, they can be on pretty tight. Make sure to use some Teflon Thread Sealer, they will seep.
This is really ill advised advice. Hydraulic brake fittings are double flare type, and you never ever use a thread sealer on any flare type fittings. The threads are not the area that seals, its the flared seat. If yours is seeping the seat is damaged, and you need to replace one or both ends.

Old 06-16-2016, 02:32 PM
Rshykes
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to replace my switch, I'm looking at which Loctite thraed sealer to use. The manual says Loctite pipe sealant with teflon (PST). But looking at Loctite there are diffent ones but none matches and on Harley's web they sell different types but not sure which I should purchase.

LOCTITE 567 High Temperature Thread Sealant with PTFE

(Known as Loctite 567 Thread Sealant )
For example?

2007 Softail Heritage Classic

Last edited by Rshykes; 06-16-2016 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Corrected
Old 07-27-2016, 10:37 AM
motosman1
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Threads

Wrong bagman1...Harley rear brake switches are 1/8-27 Male National Pipe Thread (MNPT).

Also...a liquid or paste sealant (with PTFE/Teflon) should be used on dry threads. Wet threads (which is what you will have after the switch removal) should use "Teflon tape", taking care to not allow the tape to overlap and cover the hole in the switch. 2-3 wraps with tape is sufficient.

Tech Tip...Have new switch ready to install and close at hand. Immediately cover the switch receptacle with finger of free hand when removing old switch. Quickly remove finger and replace with new switch. Screw new switch in until snug (by hand). Tie-down brake pedal and slowly back-out new switch until you see/hear fluid-with-air-bubbles coming out around switch threads. Stop and hold there until no air bubbles are seen and a steady drip of fluid is present. Tighten switch with wrenches-one on the switch and one on the switch receptacle to prevent bending/twisting the mount tab. Remove brake reservoir cap and top off fluid. Release brake pedal. Replace reservoir cap. 25+ years as a professional tech and never had to bleed system (after switch replacement) using this procedure. Hope this helps someone.

The following 2 users liked this post by motosman1:
cprhed (07-08-2020), Tilt96 (07-28-2016)
Old 07-27-2016, 12:24 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by motosman1
Wrong bagman1...Harley rear brake switches are 1/8-27 Male National Pipe Thread (MNPT).

Also...a liquid or paste sealant (with PTFE/Teflon) should be used on dry threads. Wet threads (which is what you will have after the switch removal) should use "Teflon tape", taking care to not allow the tape to overlap and cover the hole in the switch. 2-3 wraps with tape is sufficient.

Tech Tip...Have new switch ready to install and close at hand. Immediately cover the switch receptacle with finger of free hand when removing old switch. Quickly remove finger and replace with new switch. Screw new switch in until snug (by hand). Tie-down brake pedal and slowly back-out new switch until you see/hear fluid-with-air-bubbles coming out around switch threads. Stop and hold there until no air bubbles are seen and a steady drip of fluid is present. Tighten switch with wrenches-one on the switch and one on the switch receptacle to prevent bending/twisting the mount tab. Remove brake reservoir cap and top off fluid. Release brake pedal. Replace reservoir cap. 25+ years as a professional tech and never had to bleed system (after switch replacement) using this procedure. Hope this helps someone.
Yeah thanks. I assumed the fitting was a double flare, to which you dont use a sealant, but you would for NPT threads.

Old 07-28-2016, 05:22 AM
Rshykes
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

motosman1: I will try it. Thanks