Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big Bend country

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 11:44 AM
EasTexUltra12
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Big Bend country

With everyone up in Sturgis, I'm thinking the other way. I'm thinking about a Texas Hill Country ride, and also riding over to Big Bend NP. My question is whether or not there is enough to do in Big Bend to justify the long ride to get there? Or is this one of those areas that the ride itself is worth the trip?
Anyone familiar with that part of Texas?

David

Old 08-04-2015, 11:58 AM
Colorido
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The ride TO Big Bend is amongst the worst riding in the country. West Texas is a fricking desert wasteland. Windy, hot, dusty and stinks of pig ****.

Big Bend itself is gorgeous and there's plenty to do...if you enjoy getting off the bike and hiking. But just so you know...temps at the river will be 100+ this time of year.

Big Bend is usually pretty mellow on crowds, no matter the time of year.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:43 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

It's 100 here on the southeast side of the Hill Country...

Great riding if you like the heat.

Never been to Big Bend, but I really want to go... only 400 miles of nothing to get there for me....

Old 08-04-2015, 12:44 PM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Big Bend is one of my favorite trips. Take a couple of days to hit the sisters and some surrounding roads in the hill country then head down to 90 to go west. Stop at the Pecos River Bridge overlook, very scenic, Stop in Langtry at Judge Roy Bean's Place. Lots of good riding around the Davis Mountains. Marfa lights are cool. 170 between Terlingua and Presidio is probably to best overall road in Texas to ride. Long, scenic, twisty, and hilly. Make sure to go to Chisos mountain (food sux but scenery is spectacular) and ride Ross Maxwell scenic road to Santa Elena canyon (cool hike). We take a day to get out there, a day to ride the park, a day to ride the David Mountains and 170, and a day to get home. That is riding sunrise until after dark. (Be careful riding at night mule deer are everywhere). We ride fast so that covers a lot of ground. We like to stay in Alpine. Reata restaurant is pretty good as is Alicia's. Mondo's in Marfa is good also but watch out for the hot sauce. It is hot and that's coming from someone who loves hot. The earlier post is correct it will be VERY hot. We go in October or November.

Old 08-04-2015, 01:02 PM
Duc
Road Captain
Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts

Just made this loop the last week.
Yes it's hot (daytime temps were 85-110)
Yes it's a desert
But I agree with rg_dave it's one of my favorite trips. Made it 4-5 times now and never get tired of it. We did a 1/2 day river trip this time with Big Bend River Tours out of Terlingua, no "scary" rapids but a great way to kill almost a whole day if you're looking for something to do while there.
Jun was a seriously wet month there and parts of the park got 2-3" a night while we were there so the desert was beautiful.
I myself am fond of the nothingness that exist out there so I would say you can't go wrong doing the trip.
Big Bend Brewing in Alpine is worth a stop and the General Store in Ft Davis is a cool place to stay. Be prepared for NO cell service, no TV, and 99% of the time (if not more) no WiFi at Chisos if you stay there. It's a great getaway for sure.

Clif

Attached Thumbnails Big Bend country-trip.jpg  
Old 08-04-2015, 04:33 PM
weelbur2
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default big bend

EasTex....Big Bend is a magical place...all previous comments are correct...it is hot! Three of us went 06/2013 and it was 115 in Santa Elena Canyon.

Great historical lodging (all were built late 1920's to early 1930's):
  • Gage Hotel (Marathon) one night was not enough...this place is fine
  • El Paisano (Marfa)
  • Indian Lodge (Ft. Davis State Park)
  • Holland Hotel (Alpine)
Each of the above has a website...off season, prices are more than a Best Western, but you're visiting a part of Texas history...and your passenger will thank you for it.

Old 08-04-2015, 05:23 PM
H-Town
Tourer
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

As others have stated, Big Bend is an awesome, ride with great scenery. highly recommend. I'll be back there in October. Can't wait.

Old 08-04-2015, 05:33 PM
bkgabby
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Big Bend country

I just went to Big Bend this past spring. It's now off my bucket list but I won't ever do it again. The scenery is nice but the ride within the park sucks. It's a posted 45mph everywhere you go and it's miles to everywhere you go. The area around alpine is better but really no different than what you would get from around the hill country. It's a looooong boring ride to get there. Just my 2 cents

Big Bend = Big Deal

Old 08-04-2015, 06:04 PM
Sierra977
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,988 Likes on 2,065 Posts

Are La Kiva and Starlight Theater in Terlingua still open? OMG the memories of those places.

Thirty-some years ago worked Timing and Scoring for SCCA Big Bend Bash Pro Rallys. Some of the absolute craziest times I ever enjoyed. Try being buzzed by Carroll Shelby's Lear Jet. Or running +100mph for a hundred miles tucked up tight behind Gene Henderson's factory Jeep car carrier. Or destroying a rented Grand Prix in the desert outside Arriba Terlingua.

This seals it. Going to Big Bend next spring.

Old 08-04-2015, 06:59 PM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by EasTexUltra12
With everyone up in Sturgis, I'm thinking the other way. I'm thinking about a Texas Hill Country ride, and also riding over to Big Bend NP. My question is whether or not there is enough to do in Big Bend to justify the long ride to get there? Or is this one of those areas that the ride itself is worth the trip?
Anyone familiar with that part of Texas?

David
I was down there around this time of year back in 79 and was driving back toward Alpine and we came across (of all things) a massive tarantula migration, miles of them, millions of them crossing the road. Now that was WAY different-- be careful.

Quick Reply: Big Bend country