Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big Bend country

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 11:09 AM
EasTexUltra12
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sierra977
Hey man! Up to a few months ago my son lived in Waskom.

How is that metropolis these days?
My wife and I have lived here since '85. We're all down-town now. Got our own little Walmart!!

David

Old 08-05-2015, 11:59 AM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I will disagree with others that said the riding wasn't great. The Davis Mountains are good, twisty with a lot of elevation and switchbacks. 170 is as good or better than the sisters. I have never stayed at 45 except maybe in the switchbacks up to chisos mtn. If you keep your eyes pealed you can spot the rangers. I have ridden both areas many times and am not what you would call a slow rider. Everything else is what you make it. The desert scenery is spectacular. I have always gone with good people and had a great time. Getting there is the same as getting anywhere in Texas. Lots of suck to get to the good stuff.

Old 08-05-2015, 02:06 PM
Sierra977
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,988 Likes on 2,065 Posts

Originally Posted by EasTexUltra12
My wife and I have lived here since '85. We're all down-town now. Got our own little Walmart!!

David
Number One Son enjoyed Wascom. Recently expatriated across the state line to Greenwood. He's a big 24 year old. Six foot four inches, 230, muscled up from working for paving company he owns part of and lifting. Handsome kid but his mother let him get tatted up. You probably saw him driving too fast.

Old 08-07-2015, 09:43 AM
Staylebait
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I grew up in Alpine, about 90 miles north of "the park" (Big Bend), so I can give you some pointers here. I have been to Big Bend literally hundreds of times in my lifetime including many weekend trips there in high school. There is plenty to do out there and pardon me while I go on a journey of words here to help you and anybody else stumbling onto this in the future.

I highly recommend doing some riding down on the river road in the park and hitting up McDonald Observatory near Ft Davis as well, especially if they have a star party that night. If you are into hiking and all, the Window is a must see in the Chisos Basin and if you have time the Lost Mine Trail is one of my favorites due to the view at the end. The hike to Santa Elena Canyon and Cattail Falls are great hikes as well. Unfortunately many of the other great hikes you would need an off-road vehicle to get to.

If you are into it swing by the Marfa Lights thing and look for them, just avoid Marfa. Used to be a cool little town till all the artists and money moved in which destroyed the place. From there head to Ruidosa and stay at the Chinati Hot Springs, very cool place with some relaxing for the soul hot springs. Also you MUST visit Terlingua, little ghost town that has a few cool little bars and a really funky vibe to it. If it is open by that point (it is being completely rebuilt as I write this) La Kiva is a must visit bar.

As for eating I highly recommend La Casita and Alicia's in Alpine, that's where all the locals eat and is still some of the best Tex-Mex you will ever find. In Ft Davis the Drug Store is a cool old style drug store with some good food.

Lastly a HUGE safety remind here about riding or being out there. West Texas is HUGE and most of it is desert and it gets HOT out there. Always have plenty of water with you, many spots have zero cell reception and you can get stranded easily so always have water on you and stay hydrated.

Any other questions just PM me.

Edit: How could I have forgotten Terlingua. Viva Terlingua!!!

Last edited by Staylebait; 08-07-2015 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Added Terlingua in there.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:48 AM
Staylebait
Cruiser

Originally Posted by billnourse
we were in Big Bend the first of May. It was pretty hot, but not unbearable. It is nice country if you like desert. I personally think there are better places to ride, but it is worth seeing.

Watch for these:

Bill

Hahaha had to laugh at your rattlesnake pic, can't count the number of times I have heard that signature rattle then just froze to look for it.

Another point I probably should bring up. If you do go camping out there bring a pistol, those western diamondback rattlers are mean sons of bitches. Believe me you don't want to tango with one, easier to just pop it in the head with a few rounds from a .22 then fry it up for some fajitas than to risk getting bit by one because if you do then you are dead. The nearest hospitals are too far out there so you won't make it.

Old 08-07-2015, 10:02 AM
EasTexUltra12
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks! I appreciate the info!

David

Old 08-08-2015, 11:42 PM
hungry horse
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just in case you're not familiar with west TX and this area......unless you know exactly where you are and how far it is to fuel, DO NOT pass up a fuel stop. Fuel stops out here can be few and far between.......It's to hot to be walking......

Old 08-09-2015, 07:10 AM
westnash
Tourer

I didn't read all the posts so sorry if this duplicates. Keep in mind Monsoon season in the Southwest...lots of rain in areas and BB floods real easy. Some rain on a hot day is ok but massive rains are very dangerous, especially in a desolate area.

Old 08-09-2015, 10:25 AM
Rathgar
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Just in case you're not familiar with west TX and this area......unless you know exactly where you are and how far it is to fuel, DO NOT pass up a fuel stop. Fuel stops out here can be few and far between.......It's to hot to be walking......
Your not kidding, I expected to top off at Langtry but bandits pulled the pump off its base trying to steal gas the night before, I made it to Sanderson with a quart to spare.