Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big Bend country

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 08:34 PM
Blue Tick
Road Master
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

We are making this run in November. Big Bend is a great trip anyway you go.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:51 PM
woodreaux
Road Captain
Received 115 Likes on 85 Posts

I go out to BB several times each year and have for many years. Suggest you think about October. Another great time is late Feb - early March when the desert blooms.

Old 08-05-2015, 01:21 AM
silvrbill
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

The Hill Country has better rides, lots of twists and turns.
Fredericksburg is relaxing, so is Bandera and Luckenbach.
All the convenience store have free maps of the area.
Plenty of campgrounds in the area.
Ingram is a good place to start if you're riding the Sisters.
Very scenic and motorcycle friendly.
Lots of shopping in Bandera for hand-made jewelry, etc.
Big Bend will be very hot in August.
Feb/March/April and October are better times to go.

Old 08-05-2015, 07:09 AM
EasTexUltra12
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks, guys. I appreciate all the info. Looks like I've got to go...but not in August!

Ride Safe

David

Old 08-05-2015, 07:39 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

we were in Big Bend the first of May. It was pretty hot, but not unbearable. It is nice country if you like desert. I personally think there are better places to ride, but it is worth seeing.

Watch for these:

Bill

Old 08-05-2015, 09:05 AM
Rathgar
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I cleared BB from my bucket list a few weeks ago, wished I had a couple days to have stayed and looked around some more. I figured I might not be this close again so I took a quick 2 day trip from New Braunfels.
Finished up the last of the Twisted Sisters on my way back. it was hotter than hell and the ride from Del Rio West sucks pretty bad until you get back into some hills.
If I'm ever back down here in the cooler months I'll go back.

Old 08-05-2015, 09:44 AM
Sierra977
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,988 Likes on 2,065 Posts

Almost forgot... You can hide the motors in the bushes down by Boquillas Hot Springs and swim the Rio Grande over to a tiny Mexican village that has one old-time bar. This place is real-deal end-of-the-dirt-road Mexico. Sometimes there is a guy with a small rowboat that will ferry you across but we usually just swim. It is REMOTE. There is NO border patrol or anything. Just do it. Last time swam back carrying a bottle of Mescal tequila, worm and all. Passed that bottle back and forth between motors on the way back to civilization. It was f*cking awesome.

Old 08-05-2015, 10:13 AM
Sierra977
Ultimate HDF Member

Quick Big Bend story...

It was May of 1992 and we were in that part of Texas for a few days. Visiting Texas' only gold mine at Shafter, Marfa lights, old original Reatta restaurant at Alpine, the beer-drinking goat named Henry Clay who was the elected mayor of Terlingua, old movie sets of Giant and 13 Days to Glory (oops, meant the 1960 movie The Alamo - John Wayne movie made from a book written by a guy from my small-town Texas hometown) and basically terrorizing the countryside. Even got to shoot machine guns across the river when a deuce-and-a-half of Mexican Army troops drove across the river to drink at the bar in Terlingua. We were bullet-proof and invisible.

So we're deep in Big Bend Park and decide to go for a swim in the hot springs at Boquilla. Get there and run into three other guys on Harleys. Clean-cut dudes who had this air about them. Turns out all three are FBI on vacation. Well what the hell, we're all going to the same place so...

Get to the hot springs and climb through the tall reeds to get to the water, climb in and start passing the bottle around. After an hour or so of talk and laughter we hear this crashing sound coming from the tall reeds.

We can't see through the reeds but what ever it is is pretty big.

First thought through our minds is it's a pack of javelina hogs coming to water. That would not be a good thing. Pigs will tear you up.

FBI guys have pistols in shoulder holsters and all three draw down on the noise and we all just sit there in the hot spring, quiet and still as death.

Crashing noise gets closer and we figure it's gonna be a fight.

After what seemed an eternity the crashing is right on top of us, the reeds spread apart and what do we see...?

A grizzled old prospector and his donkey. Just like out of a movie.

He was damned sure surprised to see us, especially with guns pointed at him and we were just crazy relieved to see him and started laughing like wild men (and Miss Kitty).

The whole trip was like that but that's what West Texas and especially Brewster County is like.

If you go, bring you own money and your own women cause there ain't none of either out there.

Last edited by Sierra977; 08-05-2015 at 10:25 AM.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:22 AM
EasTexUltra12
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sierra977
Quick Big Bend story...

It was May of 1992 and we were in that part of Texas for a few days. Visiting Texas' only gold mine at Shafter, Marfa lights, old original Reatta restaurant at Alpine, the beer-drinking goat named Henry Clay who was the elected mayor of Terlingua, old movie sets of Giant and 13 Days to Glory and basically terrorizing the countryside. Even got to shoot machine guns across the river when a deuce-and-a-half of Mexican Army troops drove across the river to drink at the bar in Terlingua. We were bullet-proof and invisible.

So we're deep in Big Bend Park and decide to go for a swim in the hot springs at Boquilla. Get there and run into three other guys on Harleys. Clean-cut dudes who had this air about them. Turns out all three are FBI on vacation. Well what the hell, we're all going to the same place so...

Get to the hot springs and climb through the tall reeds to get to the water, climb in and start passing the bottle around. After an hour or so of talk and laughter we hear this crashing sound coming from the tall reeds.

We can't see through the reeds but what ever it is is pretty big.

First thought through our minds is it's a pack of javelina hogs coming to water. That would not be a good thing. Pigs will tear you up.

FBI guys have pistols in shoulder holsters and all three draw down on the noise and we all just sit there in the hot spring, quiet and still as death.

Crashing noise gets closer and we figure it's gonna be a fight.

After what seemed an eternity the crashing is right on top of us, the reeds spread apart and what do we see...?

A grizzled old prospector and his donkey. Just like out of a movie.

He was damned sure surprised to see us, especially with guns pointed at him and we were just crazy relieved to see him and started laughing like wild men (and Miss Kitty).

The whole trip was like that but that's what West Texas and especially Brewster County is like.

If you go, bring you own money and your own women cause there ain't none of either out there.
LOL Good story, thanks for sharing it!

Old 08-05-2015, 10:30 AM
Sierra977
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by EasTexUltra12
LOL Good story, thanks for sharing it!
Hey man! Up to a few months ago my son lived in Waskom.

How is that metropolis these days?

Quick Reply: Big Bend country