Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake rotors

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 06:08 AM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 286 Likes on 217 Posts
Default Brake rotors

My rear brake rotor needs replaced, as it is beyond min specs. I checked it out due to a worsening pulsing. I am solos starting fo feel a slight pulse up front. Even though the front rotors are better than min spec, I think I'm going to replace them as well.

Given that the HD floating rotors are only $16 ea more through boardtracker, I am considering going that route.

What are your thoughts on the floating rotors vs standard ones? Better, or is the difference not worth the couple more bucks the cost.

Also, is there something better than the HD floating rotors that don't cost an arm and a leg?

Last edited by steelerdude1; 08-03-2015 at 06:14 AM.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:30 AM
collin
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I would go to ebay, some vendors there sell quite a few

Warping
Brake rotors can be subjected to extreme temperatures. Though the brake rotor is made from materials meant to withstand this temperature, rotors can and do warp. Floating rotors reduce the chances of warping as the outer ring can heat up and expand without impacting the inner ring which stays much cooler as it is not in contact with the brake pads.

Rotor Life
The constant expansion and contraction of the brake rotor will cause the rotor material to weaken and eventually fail. Floating rotors are less impacted by this heat as the outer ring is allowed to expand independent of the inner ring, giving the floating rotors a longer service life than solid rotors.

Cost
Solid brake rotors are much less expensive than floating rotors as they are much simpler to manufacture. Though more expensive to purchase than solid rotors, the longer life of floating rotors may offset their cost over the life of the bike

BTW;

When I changed my wheels I heated the torx bolts with a torch then used a impact driver , I did break a couple bits. I then ordered a complete set of grade 8 hex head bolts a 1/4 inch longer than the old ones on line, a drop of red then torqued them. No more torx bolts.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...otors&_sacat=0

Last edited by collin; 08-03-2015 at 07:50 AM.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:54 AM
SG-Jay
Road Captain
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Go with the floating rotors. They resist warping just like Colin said. There is a reason they use them on sport bikes and pretty much all performance bikes.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:38 AM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,575 Likes on 1,969 Posts

Originally Posted by collin
I would go to ebay, some vendors there sell quite a few

Warping
Brake rotors can be subjected to extreme temperatures. Though the brake rotor is made from materials meant to withstand this temperature, rotors can and do warp. Floating rotors reduce the chances of warping as the outer ring can heat up and expand without impacting the inner ring which stays much cooler as it is not in contact with the brake pads.

Rotor Life
The constant expansion and contraction of the brake rotor will cause the rotor material to weaken and eventually fail. Floating rotors are less impacted by this heat as the outer ring is allowed to expand independent of the inner ring, giving the floating rotors a longer service life than solid rotors.

Cost
Solid brake rotors are much less expensive than floating rotors as they are much simpler to manufacture. Though more expensive to purchase than solid rotors, the longer life of floating rotors may offset their cost over the life of the bike

BTW;

When I changed my wheels I heated the torx bolts with a torch then used a impact driver , I did break a couple bits. I then ordered a complete set of grade 8 hex head bolts a 1/4 inch longer than the old ones on line, a drop of red then torqued them. No more torx bolts.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...otors&_sacat=0

I had a set warp on my wife's 2012 Limited and replaced them with the HD free floating. They were cheaper than the OEM polished rotor that was on the bike. The free floating rotors worked great.

Old 08-03-2015, 12:13 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

I habve bought two used bikes with the HD floaters on them. On both bikes these HD floaters were extremely warped to the point that the bikes would shudder back and forth on heavy front braking. To me this is a sign that a bike ash been ridden hard.

Not everyone brakes the same. I prefer to engine brake until I am close to stopping and then apply my brakes. That being said I am yet to warp any rotors on my 2013 Glide. I have about 30K miles on the current rotors on the bike.

The point of this is that I dislike the Harley floaters due to my personal experience with them. Sure they are cost effective, but a rotor that will not warp is what you are after.
We offer Galfer wave and EBC floating rotors to customers whom experience issues as a result of warping.

Price wise, both cost more than the Harley floaters so I will stop there. Here are pics for anyone else who is experiencing issues with warping rotors.
Galfer Wave

EBC Floating rotor

Old 08-03-2015, 02:58 PM
Coastal CVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 471 Likes on 278 Posts

The CVO came with Floater for a reason, they are better. Mine started to pulse, but, instead of replacing them, I cleaned the rivets with brake clean, it would appear that while
I was cleaning the bike, a small amount of brake dust was accumulating on the rivets this caused the rotors to pulse, Dealer diagnosed the rotors as bad and wanted $480 to replace. Less than $10 fixed the issue, you may or may not be as lucky but it's worth looking into.

Old 08-03-2015, 04:29 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SG-Jay
Go with the floating rotors. They resist warping just like Colin said. There is a reason they use them on sport bikes and pretty much all performance bikes.
The H-D floating rotors also come with new mounting screws, which makes them even cheaper! I've been pleased with mine.

Old 08-03-2015, 06:31 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,407 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Originally Posted by Hogpro
I habve bought two used bikes with the HD floaters on them. On both bikes these HD floaters were extremely warped to the point that the bikes would shudder back and forth on heavy front braking. To me this is a sign that a bike ash been ridden hard.

Not everyone brakes the same. I prefer to engine brake until I am close to stopping and then apply my brakes. That being said I am yet to warp any rotors on my 2013 Glide. I have about 30K miles on the current rotors on the bike.

The point of this is that I dislike the Harley floaters due to my personal experience with them. Sure they are cost effective, but a rotor that will not warp is what you are after.
We offer Galfer wave and EBC floating rotors to customers whom experience issues as a result of warping.

Price wise, both cost more than the Harley floaters so I will stop there. Here are pics for anyone else who is experiencing issues with warping rotors.
Galfer Wave

EBC Floating rotor
Those are both proven performers in the sport bike realm. I would have to believe they out perform the stockers. The stock calipers being brembos are great. I just think the moco chimped on the rotor design.i went through a set in 20k

Old 08-04-2015, 04:36 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by todd-67
Those are both proven performers in the sport bike realm. I would have to believe they out perform the stockers. The stock calipers being brembos are great. I just think the moco chimped on the rotor design.i went through a set in 20k
Doing stoppies to impress the gals does that.....

Old 08-04-2015, 06:28 AM
Thompson5
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine were warped, straighten them with a cresent wrench and a dial indicator.

Quick Reply: Brake rotors