Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seized fork tubes

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 10:38 AM
RK El Guapo
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Seized fork tubes

I have a '96 Road King I am doing a ton of work to. I was preparing to install a Progressive Monotube lowering(only 1") set into my front shocks, ut the damned things are seized up. I cannot break the top loose from the fork tube! I've tried a vice + MAP heat, but no luck.

I don't think these have ever been serviced, as the bottom hex bolts were also incredibly tough to get out. I'm going to have to replace those bolts... Do you guys have any ideas as to what to do? If I am stuck having to replace them, is there a good source for factory-length fork tubes?

I've seen these DBI tubes, but I'm not convinced that they're any good. I've also read about Forks by Frank, but Frank died a while back, and it sounds like his family took over the business but haven't kept up the quality.

Old 08-02-2015, 12:18 PM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

Secure fork tube from turning.You might have to reinstall in triple clamps on bike.Then use a impact driver with the correct size socket and whack away.That should break it loose.

Old 08-02-2015, 01:16 PM
sanman4ever
Club Member
Received 326 Likes on 248 Posts
Default Seized fork tubes

Are you talking about the fork tube caps? If so secure the leg in the lower triple tree clap. Make sure the actual area the cap screws into isn't the part secured in the triple tree. Raise it up some. Hope that makes sense. Have your friend "spot" the bike as well as strap it to the jack while you apply presure.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:02 AM
RK El Guapo
Cruiser

Yeah, I'm trying to break loose the part that actually caps off the springs. the threaded area is inside the tube roughly 1.5" - 2". I am fairly certain these damned forks have never been serviced, and the o-ring has deformed to the point of becoming like glue. On top of that, the threads are probably corroded together. This thing is holding waaaaaay past torque spec.

I'm going to try putting it back in the bottom clamp of the tree this afternoon, but I've yet to get any luck out of that method so far.

If I end up needing to replace these bastards, what's the next best option out there?

Old 08-03-2015, 10:16 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,424 Likes on 2,765 Posts

No need to replace. As stated put back in the trees, hold bike down with straps or another person and put a breaker bar on it, they will come off. Just need to be persuaded.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:40 AM
RK El Guapo
Cruiser

I finally got them broken loose, but it took a lot more heat and an even bigger hammer. Damn!