Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Charging system issues AGAIN

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 07:38 AM
Markholloway
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Charging system issues AGAIN

I have a 2012 ultra tcu, I have 51k miles. My bike has broke down 5 times in 3 years! Left me on the road side twice! This past weekend I took a ride to Destin, fl. My voltage went from 14.5 to 16 and would stay peged for 5 seconds, drop back to 14.5, then my engine light as well as battery light would come on and go off,be ok for a couple hours and do it again?? Since I was 300 miles from home I decided to head back home. My bike was in the up grade..Haaaaaa that's what the letter from harley stated on the voltage regulator, which left me on the side of hwy 331 south on a holiday weekend!! 4 months later, after I found a regulator at chunk river and had it next day aired to me,thanks to Doug the parts manager, I received the letter from harley. I have read the forum and this issue may be the stator. I changed the fluids 2k miles ago and I use the red stuff-Red line, I noticed that the oil had discoloration and a burnt smell,didn't think much at the time. I purchased extended warranties on both the bikes I have purchased, called harley and they said it was covered."yes" I used a little profanity and conveyed my un happiness with my bike breaking down all the time!! I am wondering on the average how long does the stator actually last? I have been read this forum for a little while and have gotten a lot of information from it. I thank you all, I'm nothing but an old jarhead that has to ride to keep my PTSD under control, did I just get a lemon or they just building them now to sit in garages to look at?? Thanks guys your input would be much appreciated!

Old 08-01-2015, 09:19 AM
69cj
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If I read your post correctly it went over voltage for a period. Too me that says regulator minus any testing to say other wise.

Old 08-01-2015, 11:33 AM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,575 Likes on 1,969 Posts

I'd be interested to learn a little more, have you replaced the battery, added any mods that draw current like heated grips, lights or radio amps?

A bad battery can cause the Voltage regulator and stator to produce a large current. Think about a battery charger hooked up to a dead battery. If the battery is still good the output is high till the battery charge comes up then charging current drops. A bad battery will not charge and the charging current remains high. This high current flow causes excess heat and in time can damage the regulator or stator windings and often times both. If your primary oil smelled like a burnt circuit board or a overheated motor that's a pretty good sign the coating on the stator windings burnt off.

A bad V reg can cause the same problems.

I hope the dealer finds your problem and gets it fixed for good.

If you have a volt Ohm Meter you can do the checks your self.
Good luck

Old 08-01-2015, 03:23 PM
Markholloway
Stage IV

No modes at all. The harley shop said it would be 2 weeks. The V.r. was replaced 1.5 years ago. When it went out I was on the interstate, Cruz shut off, stereo, guages, then the bike stopped pulling, rolled to a stop, mother was still running no throttle response. From what I have read when the stator goes it may or may not fry the V.R.... when they call and let me know I'll be sure to post the problem. Thank you for replying! ! Semper Fi!! I miss my bike!!

Old 08-02-2015, 08:39 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

That smell you mention is most likely stator. With that failing (which may take some time to finally give up) it may well also destroy regulators. IMHO once the stator is replaced (plus regulator if necessary) your bike should be fine.

Old 08-02-2015, 08:54 AM
Markholloway
Stage IV

Thanks men. I really hope so I need wind therapy. Shift linkage twice, voltage regulator went out 3 months later I go the letter from harley, front plug wire rubbed in to, now stator and possibly the voltage regulator again!! Really frustrating! !

Old 08-02-2015, 09:37 AM
skydude426
Club Member
Received 389 Likes on 225 Posts

I have a 2012 Ultra Classic. I had the original voltage regulator changed when the recall came out on them.

Last summer (2014) my voltage would drop low at times and then come back up after shutting it down and restarting it. It also had a hard time starting the bike while hot. I ended up replacing the battery and the voltage regulator.

Early this summer my voltage would go high ( it pegged the volt meter) and my check engine light would come on and my speedometer and tachometer would go dead. If I shut the bike down and restarted it, it would go back to normal. I once again replaced the voltage regulator and it's been fine since then.

In both cases I used an ohmmeter to ring out the stator windings and they checked out fine. I also started the bike and checked the stator voltage and it was good. I haven't noticed a bad smell in the primary fluid.

I don't know what to think other than I've just had a bad run of luck with voltage regulators. I haven't read any posts of people with multiple voltage regulator failures on 2012 bikes until this one.

Let us know how things turn out for you. I'm curious to know what they find out about your stator.

Old 08-02-2015, 10:02 AM
rufasim
Road Warrior
Received 155 Likes on 110 Posts

I too had my VR replaced with the recall. It wasn't faulty but if they are going to replace, I got it replaced. Earlier this spring I noticed that the volt gauge would peg and stay there. Replace the VR again and has been fine since. I am keeping an eye on the gauge now.

Old 08-02-2015, 05:56 PM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Markholloway
Thanks men. I really hope so I need wind therapy. Shift linkage twice, voltage regulator went out 3 months later I go the letter from harley, front plug wire rubbed in to, now stator and possibly the voltage regulator again!! Really frustrating! !
I have ptsd too and I just ordered the whole 45 amp system for mine. Mine has a burned plugin and was smelling and putting out 12.8 volts. Would run but cranks slow a day or 2 after charging don't like messing around so I ordered all new and a tensioner just in case. Only want to go in there once-- and do it all at once.

Old 08-02-2015, 08:34 PM
CGLTD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 204 Posts

My 05 lasted 70k miles. My 13 19k miles. Both times I replaced them with a Cycle Electric 50 amp 3 phase system. I would have them install that even though you will have to pay but at least you will be out of the shop.

Dang 2 weeks is a long time! I replaced mine in an afternoon.

Quick Reply: Charging system issues AGAIN