Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet question

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 12:55 PM
maltezebluez96
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Helmet question

I use a SEER helmet. They make alot of the police helmets. Very comfortable and they painted it in matching colors of my bike using Harley paint (Smokey Gold w/black flames). A bit pricey but well worth it IMO.

Old 05-01-2007, 01:29 PM
MrChet
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: Fearless1

Just ordered a german chome but the only reason I bought it was to go to Vegas, here in AZ you need no helmet.

Anyone know a good place to get the metal spikes for the top of it?
Check out the following sites.
http://www.bikertails.com/helmetspikes.html

http://www.imosh.com/SPIKES.htm
The 2 3/4" should work for you.

I've found that you have to take in to account the shape and fit of the helmet. I've been through a few trying to find something that I like. I now wear glasses and it makes it hard to put on a full face helmet. So I've gone with the flip front or convertible. The biggest reason is to stop the wind in my eyes for long distance rides and warmth when it's colder. I've got a small beanie helmet that I wear when I go places that call for a helmet. Around town I don't wear one. I'll be checking some more out in Myrtle Beach in a couple of weeks!

Also the problem with Clinton wasn't that he didn't inhale... it's that he's never exhaled!

Old 05-01-2007, 01:48 PM
HogBack
Road Master

Like many others have said, find out your head shape. I too am a long oval head shape, and get a red spot on my forehead from most helmets, and on some helmets I find that out after I bought it, as it takes an hour or so before the fit problems becomes apparent. Many like modular but they are WAY to heavy for me and I get all sorts of neck pain from the weight. I have an older Shoei RJ Air 3/4 that I worked about an 1/8 of an inch in the forehead area and it is my favorite long range helmet. I have a full face, but it sits on the shelf most of the time. I just orders a Vega 1/2 for bigger events when I am not on the road but beed a helmet that will fit in my luggage bags. DOT and SNELL is best.

Old 05-01-2007, 06:39 PM
chiabate
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If your head's oval, the Italians (AGV, Nolan) have the most pronounced ovals on the market. If your head's round, and youwant a really innovative helmet, pull up my website www.leydendistributing.com

Old 05-01-2007, 06:46 PM
allikanbe
Advanced

Full-face. It gets warm, but I don't want my face dragged along the ground without it.

Old 05-01-2007, 08:46 PM
jmbear328
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got a few different helmets, but the one that I wear the most is a H-D beanie. I have a Shoie RF-1000 that I wear when its really cold outside, and I have a cheap AFX FX-7 half helmet that I have my H-D intercom into.

John

Old 05-01-2007, 08:55 PM
Mick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I wanted a Harley half helmet pretty bad , but they didn't fit my large round head.
I bought a HJC half helmet with the little visor and removable curtain , and I like it alot.
If it's rated well , and fits your head , buy what makes you happy.
A good fitting helmet that is worn properly is better than a pretty helmet that doesn't fit right.
Good hunting.
Mick

Old 05-01-2007, 09:05 PM
Taterdog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the MSF course they recommend a minimum 3/4 helmet. Something about the 1/2 helmet not protecting the cerebral cortex or something like that. Don't know that to be a fact but it sounds logical.

Old 05-02-2007, 01:02 PM
shekmark
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Bought a full face -flip up Nolan 102 and Love it. I wear it when it's cold out and on my Ducati. I also have a new Z1R 3/4 Retro look. It's white with a sripe. Thought it was cool. I like the old Captain America helmets too. Also a 1/2 HJC with flaps in Black the I wear alot. My friends all wear skull caps, and I used to. Now I have a kid in college and figure she needs me for a while longer. I went down 4 years ago at 20 miles per hour. Weird accident.Happened to be wearing a DOT 1/2 leathercovered HD helmet. Wacked the side of my head hard. Did not feel a thing but had to throw away the helmet.

Old 05-02-2007, 01:36 PM
TRUBRIT
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a Shoei 3/4, but bought a DOT Carbon Fiber 1/2. Much prefer it as it is lighter and is not effected by the wind in any way.
http://www.carbonfiberhelmets.com/
It is stronger than any Fiberglass shell out there. Nice thing also is that it fits inside the hard bag so no need for a separate helmet lock.

Quick Reply: Helmet question