Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need service info for Ultra Limited

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 04:04 AM
slufoot
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need service info for Ultra Limited

Hi all. Just got a 2015 Ultra Limited which is coming up on the 1000 mile service. I planned on doing the service myself using the service manual. Just not sure about the dyno testing I've been reading about. Is this necessary at every service and is it required to maintain the warranty? I've had other bikes, goldwings etc., that I did the servicing on but this is my first Harley. I don't plan on doing any performance upgrades in the near future. Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 07-26-2015, 04:55 AM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by slufoot
...Just not sure about the dyno testing I've been reading about. Is this necessary at every service and is it required to maintain the warranty?
Welcome to the forum.

Dyno work is normally not needed unless: (1) you just want a record of what the motor is capable of at any point in time, (2) some mods are being done and you want to verify they're working properly, or (3) you want to make changes to the map for either personal or modification reasons.

FWIW, it takes a knowledgeable dyno operator to get the most out of any dyno session.

Old 07-26-2015, 06:17 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Hi from the UK and welcome to HDF. If you have the factory service manual you have a solid foundation for servicing your bike.

I can't imagine where you read about using a Dyno - that's news to me! I doubt if most Harleys have ever seen one, stock or modified. If and when you get around to tuning your bike that will be the time to consider a dyno set-up, but not until then.

Old 07-26-2015, 06:29 AM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 519 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
Hi from the UK and welcome to HDF. If you have the factory service manual you have a solid foundation for servicing your bike.

I can't imagine where you read about using a Dyno - that's news to me! I doubt if most Harleys have ever seen one, stock or modified. If and when you get around to tuning your bike that will be the time to consider a dyno set-up, but not until then.

Dyno testing is not part of any normal maintenance procedure.

Dyno testing is used for tuning the bike to get the most out of any performance upgrades you might install.
Some also put their bikes on a Dyno, just to see what kind of power numbers it puts out.

Originally Posted by slufoot
Just not sure about the dyno testing I've been reading about. Is this necessary at every service and is it required to maintain the warranty?
If any dealer tells you anything about Dyno testing (or anything other than what is listed in the service manual) being required for warranty, find another dealer to go too.
Even having the dealer do the service isn't "required" to maintain your factory warranty.
The service needs to be performed, but they can't tell you who has to do it.
You can do it yourself if you want and still maintain warranty.

Last edited by RollaMo; 07-26-2015 at 06:34 AM.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:42 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 329 Likes on 224 Posts

Hey slufoot, welcome to the forum from Tonopah az, no you don't need to dyno just get a service manual and it tells you what to do on all your services, if you need pm me and I will give you my phone # and help you with what is expected on the service.

Old 07-26-2015, 03:27 PM
slufoot
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies. They confirmed what I was thinking. Just wanted to be sure. I read some discussions about dyno testing on the forum and the dealer talked about it also, while pushing the expensive maintenance plan. I'll do the common service procedures according to the manual and keep good records. I have most of the tools required, i.e., torque wrenches, etc. Actually I enjoy doing it. Keeps me busy and out of trouble. Thanks again.