Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise in primary when bike off??

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2015 | 07:32 PM
Hurricane19
|
Road Captain
Default Noise in primary when bike off??

First off I searched old threads for a while with no luck. Bike is a 2010 flhr stage 3 big bore, running and shifting great. Problem I just noticed last night. Got back from a ride and turned off the bike, when pushing it into the garage, being quiet, I could hear a rattling sound in the clutch area on the primary. This morning rolled the bike out and heard nothing. Got home from work and hear it again. I put the bike up on the lift and could here some random rattling when turning the back tire. Any ideas what this could be before I start taking things apart?

Old 07-22-2015 | 07:47 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member

Think of what is moving when you push a bike in neutral. Nothing in the actual primary is moving. You have the rear wheel, the belt, and the transmission output shaft. What lube are you running in the transmission? When the machine is hot the lube is at its thinnest and things might rattle a bit even if they are in good shape. I will leave it to others as to whether this is serious or not but I believe your primary is not involved.

Old 07-22-2015 | 08:37 PM
Hurricane19
|
Road Captain

Ok that makes sense. I'm running the hd formula +.

Old 07-22-2015 | 08:47 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Hurricane19
Ok that makes sense. I'm running the hd formula +.
In the transmission? Isn't that primary fluid? If you answered accurately there are good gear oils out there. You should try one of them, Spectro 6 speed, BelRay gear saver, RedLine Heavy with Shockproof , Mobil 1 75-140, Royal Purple are just a few of the popular ones.

Old 07-22-2015 | 08:49 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by btsom
In the transmission? Isn't that primary fluid? If you answered accurately there are good gear oils out there. You should try one of them, Spectro 6 speed, BelRay gear saver, RedLine Heavy with Shockproof , Mobil 1 75-140, Royal Purple are just a few of the popular ones.
It's for the transmission too. Works well.

Old 07-22-2015 | 08:56 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member

"It's for the transmission too. Works well."

I haven't used it years, should have read the label more carefully. I still believe one of the multi viscosity gear oils would work better by not thinning out so much when hot.

Old 07-22-2015 | 09:12 PM
Hurricane19
|
Road Captain

It's for both trans and prim, that's what the dealer recommends and it is pretty thick.

Old 07-22-2015 | 10:17 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member

Your belt is too tight. Guarantee you that's what your hearing.

2010 Limited with some stuff

Old 07-22-2015 | 11:39 PM
Hurricane19
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by SBates08
Your belt is too tight. Guarantee you that's what your hearing.

2010 Limited with some stuff
That would be an easy thing to try but I haven't had the rear wheel off in 2 months so I would have thought it would get looser. Also it doesn't seem to do it when it's cold, only after it warms up. Do the belts tighten up when riding? I'll try to adjust it and see if that does it.

Old 07-22-2015 | 11:52 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Hurricane19
That would be an easy thing to try but I haven't had the rear wheel off in 2 months so I would have thought it would get looser. Also it doesn't seem to do it when it's cold, only after it warms up. Do the belts tighten up when riding? I'll try to adjust it and see if that does it.
Yes, the Gates rear wheel drive belts do tighten up significantly when warmed up. It kind of defies physics, doesn't it? With most things they loosen when warmed up, but not in this case. When you adjust it to the proper attention, make sure it is cold.
I am with the other guy who said he though there was a good likelihood that the drive belt was making the noise you described.

Quick Reply: Noise in primary when bike off??