Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise in primary when bike off??

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015 | 01:04 PM
Hurricane19
|
Road Captain

Well here's the scoop. After talking to a lot of people I was convinced to take into the dealer and find out why this bike with less that 20k miles is having bearing issues since myself or the previous owner never touched the motor, other than fluids, and I'm glad I did. First off a little background on the bike. I bought with 4000 miles on it from a guy that had a bad accident at work and could no longer ride it because of his back. The PO bought it new from my local shop with an extended warranty. He had them do the service on it as well as the dealer do the stage III big bore WITH clutch upgrade. So I take it in and first call I get was that the main shaft bearing was bad. I asked numerous times why this would happen and they kept saying normal wear and tear, I wasn't convinced. The next day they call me and said when putting it back together the tech noticed the splines on the clutch assembly were coming apart. So now I'm like WTF, wear and tear excuse will not cut it. I go up and grab the tech before the service manager and he tells me that looking at all the parts he believes, as well as another tech, that the nut that holds the clutch assembly to the main shaft on the transmission was way over torqued and this caused all of the issues. I argued this point to the service manager with no luck so I told him to get me the store's GM. So they say they want to contact the tech that did the work on the bike 5 years ago and then they would let me know what they will do. The next day, last Friday, the service manager calls me up and said they found debris from in the transmission and that they are going to rebuild the entire drive train for FREE and then tells me to come up and get a loaner until it's done. So now I question what the hell made them take full responsibility after talking to this tech that did the work, that by the way no longer works there but they still contact him?? They had to order some parts so they say it should be done by the middle of the week.

Old 08-03-2015 | 01:11 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member

I think the HD shops are just like women. You'll never understand why they do the **** they do. Consider this as a BJ from the wife....Don't question it, just take it and smile!!!!

2010 Limited with some stuff

Old 08-03-2015 | 01:14 PM
Hurricane19
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by SBates08
I think the HD shops are just like women. You'll never understand why they do the **** they do. Consider this as a BJ from the wife....Don't question it, just take it and smile!!!!

2010 Limited with some stuff
Good point free repairs from HD and BJ's from the wife don't come around too often!!

Old 08-03-2015 | 02:27 PM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member

maybe the tech admitted he used an impact wrench to tighten it up? but yeah, take it and don't look back. you have a good dealer

Old 08-03-2015 | 02:32 PM
Hurricane19
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Joe12RK
maybe the tech admitted he used an impact wrench to tighten it up? but yeah, take it and don't look back. you have a good dealer
Yeah possibly, I'm sure they will never tell. Gateway HD has always been pretty straight up with our bikes. They have a couple bozos there but some pretty good guys as well.