Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise in primary when bike off??

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2015 | 09:08 AM
pdzani
Cruiser

If your rear wheel bearings check out I would be looking at the clutch nub bearing first then your tranny. I had my tranny main drive gear bearings got out in my 09 ultra, I had to take my tranny apart to find it.

Old 07-24-2015 | 09:10 AM
Hurricane19
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by pdzani
If your rear wheel bearings check out I would be looking at the clutch nub bearing first then your tranny. I had my tranny main drive gear bearings got out in my 09 ultra, I had to take my tranny apart to find it.
Rear wheel bearings are fine and it's definitely coming from the behind the primary cover somewhere.

Old 07-24-2015 | 09:18 AM
pdzani
Cruiser

Once you remove the outer primary cover grab the clutch hub with both hands and check the amount of play side to side to give you an idea of what bearing feels like and look for metal shavings. I would then pull the hub and rotate the tranny main shaft by hand and see it it makes a noise or you feel a rough vibration or uneven dragging as you rotate the shaft. This will give you an idea of next steps. Good luck hope you find the culprit soon.

Old 07-24-2015 | 09:23 AM
Hurricane19
|
Road Captain

Thanks for the help.

Old 07-24-2015 | 09:28 AM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Hurricane19
Wow that's strange but does make some since as I just put over 500 miles on her this past weekend in the 100 degree heat and it just started doing it yesterday. Thanks a lot guys I will loosen it up tomorrow and see if that does it.
I listened to your video-- get some baby powder and powder the belt good, on the teeth side It will make all the belt friction noise go away for a short time so you can see if it is that or something else. Powder will rinse off pretty easily with a hose

Old 07-24-2015 | 09:29 AM
pdzani
Cruiser

I am pointing you in this direction because when the bike is not running and you push it across the floor the tranny main shift is still turning because the front pulley rotating with the belt. That main shaft rides on many bearings inside the tranny as well as the inner primary and clutch hub bearing. If it's not a wheel bearing then those are the only bearings turning when you push it across thr floor.

Old 07-24-2015 | 09:32 AM
Hurricane19
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by pdzani
I am pointing you in this direction because when the bike is not running and you push it across the floor the tranny main shift is still turning because the front pulley rotating with the belt. That main shaft rides on many bearings inside the tranny as well as the inner primary and clutch hub bearing. If it's not a wheel bearing then those are the only bearings turning when you push it across thr floor.
Yes that would make sense. Looks like a need to get out the manual and go at it. Thanks again for places to start.

Old 07-24-2015 | 09:53 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member

I still think your belt is too tight. If it were a bearing it would make that noise whether the bike was hot or cold. You stated earlier that it only makes that noise when the bike is hot. My Uncles bike was doing the same thing and his belt was too tight.

2010 Limited with some stuff

Old 07-24-2015 | 09:57 AM
Hurricane19
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by SBates08
I still think your belt is too tight. If it were a bearing it would make that noise whether the bike was hot or cold. You stated earlier that it only makes that noise when the bike is hot. My Uncles bike was doing the same thing and his belt was too tight.

I checked the belt last night and it seems to be set correctly unless I'm doing it wrong. When I checked it was a little on the tight side but now it should be correct. I guess I could loosen it a little more and see if that does anything but I really think it is correct now. It is odd it only does it when it's hot, all I can figure it the cold fluid is just thicker and is enough to keep it quiet until it warms up?? I don't really know.

Old 07-24-2015 | 10:07 AM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member

Everybody has their own way of setting the belt. Some use a tension gauge some don't. I set mine to where you can almost get a vertical twist on it from the bottom. Note: Belt adjustment has to be done when the bike is cold. And your adjustment doesn't have to be off by much for your belt to feel like a banjo string once everything is heated up.
Also, running a tight belt for an extended period of time can cause premature bearing failure.

Quick Reply: Noise in primary when bike off??