Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise in primary when bike off??

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015 | 12:10 AM
Hurricane19
|
Road Captain
Default Noise in primary when bike off??

Wow that's strange but does make some since as I just put over 500 miles on her this past weekend in the 100 degree heat and it just started doing it yesterday. Thanks a lot guys I will loosen it up tomorrow and see if that does it.

Old 07-23-2015 | 09:06 AM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Hurricane19
Wow that's strange but does make some since as I just put over 500 miles on her this past weekend in the 100 degree heat and it just started doing it yesterday. Thanks a lot guys I will loosen it up tomorrow and see if that does it.
You might want to check the belt's tension before just arbitrarily loosening it up. My belt is set at the correct tension and it makes a little "ticking" noise anyway. Belts are not entirely free of minor noises. Remember that they operate in kind of an unfriendly environment down there. Water, dust, brake dust, oil, road debris, heat and cold, etc.

Old 07-23-2015 | 09:09 AM
Hurricane19
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Retrop
You might want to check the belt's tension before just arbitrarily loosening it up. My belt is set at the correct tension and it makes a little "ticking" noise anyway. Belts are not entirely free of minor noises. Remember that they operate in kind of an unfriendly environment down there. Water, dust, brake dust, oil, road debris, heat and cold, etc.
Will do.

Old 07-23-2015 | 12:39 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member

Be sure to report back and let us know what you find with the belt.

2010 Limited with some stuff

Old 07-24-2015 | 08:07 AM
Hurricane19
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by SBates08
Be sure to report back and let us know what you find with the belt.

2010 Limited with some stuff
Well the belt was a little tight but that wasn't the problem, still doing it. Soooooo any other suggestions? I put it up on a lift and recorded a short video of me turning the wheel with my hand to record the sound, I'll see if I can figure out how to post it.

Old 07-24-2015 | 08:11 AM
Hurricane19
|
Road Captain

Here's a video of the noise.

Attached Files
File Type: mov
noise.MOV (2.41 MB, 141 views)
Old 07-24-2015 | 08:11 AM
pdzani
Cruiser

The belt gets tighter because the front and rear pulleys heat up and expand, this puts more tension on the belt.

Old 07-24-2015 | 08:50 AM
Hurricane19
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by pdzani
The belt gets tighter because the front and rear pulleys heat up and expand, this puts more tension on the belt.
Right I know but it is making noise now after a ride when it never did before, this just started and I just checked the belt last night. I posted a video of the sound above, doesn't sound normal to me and didn't do this until a couple days ago.

Old 07-24-2015 | 09:00 AM
pdzani
Cruiser

Just listened to the video doesn't sound good at all perhaps a bearing issue in the tranny or primary, if it were me I would put it on a lift and start to narrow down the sound location. After that it's time to start digging in and get to the part causing the issue. If you don't do your own wrenching you might want to take it in and have it looked at because that sound is not normal.

Old 07-24-2015 | 09:02 AM
Hurricane19
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by pdzani
Just listened to the video doesn't sound good at all perhaps a bearing issue in the tranny or primary, if it were me I would put it on a lift and start to narrow down the sound location. After that it's time to start digging in and get to the part causing the issue. If you don't do your own wrenching you might want to take it in and have it looked at because that sound is not normal.
Yeah that's what I'm afraid of. When I put it on a lift it sounds like it is coming from the clutch area behind the primary so I'm thinking something on the shaft coming out of the transmission. I guess I need to start taking it apart.

Quick Reply: Noise in primary when bike off??