Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King - Handling

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007 | 05:44 PM
DanDeuce
|
Road Captain
Default Road King - Handling

Thinking about trading my Deuce for a Road King , comfort thing - wifes riding position ! Any of you RK owners out there also own or ride a softail ? How's the ride compare between these two types of bikes ? I know I could use some more weight capacity as the wife and I weigh in at around 425 lbs. total, real close to the Deuces capacity , I believe . Does the RK , Ultra and the rest of the tourers have the same frame ?

Thanks , Dan

Old 04-30-2007 | 05:50 PM
Kahuna
Road Master
Default RE: Road King - Handling

A Road King is the way to go! Great bike! The TC88A engine purrs like a kitten above 2k RPM. I had a softail before, and will not go back to it again. I've had an '02 RKC and now ride a 2005 RG. Since the RK has airshocks, the weight for both of you should not be a problem. Plus, it's more comfortable on longer trips! The cruise control on the RKC sold me!

Good luck!

ORIGINAL: DanDeuce

Thinking about trading my Deuce for a Road King , comfort thing - wifes riding position ! Any of you RK owners out there also own or ride a softail ? How's the ride compare between these two types of bikes ? I know I could use some more weight capacity as the wife and I weigh in at around 425 lbs. total, real close to the Deuces capacity , I believe . Does the RK , Ultra and the rest of the tourers have the same frame ?

Thanks , Dan

Old 04-30-2007 | 05:52 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member

Any harley touring bike will out handle any softail hands down, its because of the reduced rake that they handle so good. Believe me once you ride one you will wonder how you ever lived with the terrible handling of a softail.

Old 04-30-2007 | 06:48 PM
04RoadKing
Outstanding HDF Member

I went from a FXSTI Softail to a FLHR Road King and would never go back. The ride is so much better.

Old 04-30-2007 | 07:47 PM
fishafly
Road Master

ORIGINAL: gunrunner

Any harley touring bike will out handle any softail hands down, its because of the reduced rake that they handle so good. Believe me once you ride one you will wonder how you ever lived with the terrible handling of a softail.
Exaaaaaaaactly I switched over from a Heritage...

Old 04-30-2007 | 09:08 PM
aframe2
Cruiser

I have a 98 fatboy and a 06 Road King Custom, the ride on the King is superior. Hey Fishafly, what kind of brake do you have on that front wheel. I don't see any rotor. Iam trying to decide which way to go in respect of a front brake. I want new wheels, but don't see much value in doing so if you can't see the wheel.

Old 04-30-2007 | 09:26 PM
zorro
Cruiser

Had three Road Kings and two E-Glides take some advice - try a Roadie (Road Glide) before you buy anything...

It's like a Street Glide on steriods ... But of course the Roadie was around first - seniority thing you know...

Old 04-30-2007 | 09:28 PM
zenmachine
Advanced

road king all the way! They dont call it the road king for nothing

Old 04-30-2007 | 09:51 PM
Andy Engemann
Tourer

I started with a 94 Superglide, graduated up to a 97 Softail Custom and then a 99 Road King. The Road King is far superior to the Softail in terms of handling, ride comfort, cornering, and braking. The Softail used to hit bumps and I could hear the frame clacking when the suspension bottomed out (240 pounds). Never had that same problem on a Road King. I just sold my 99 Road King a few weeks ago and my 07 Road King should be here in about two weeks.

In my opinion the Softail suspension isn't bad, but the Road King suspension is unbelievably better. It's like moving from a VW Beetle up to a Cadillac. The air shocks are great. Once you get used to havingsaddlebags, you'll never go back.

The best thing about the Road King is that the windshield pops on and off in 10-15 seconds and the bike looks great either way!

Andy

Old 04-30-2007 | 10:00 PM
zenmachine
Advanced

hey not to mention the air shocks. Those are sweet. The wife says its almost like riding in a car when we go over rough spots in the road.

Quick Reply: Road King - Handling