Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Police bike radio ideas

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 05:21 PM
liquiddeputy
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Police bike radio ideas

Hi all,
Anyone use a marine (boat) radio? I've been kicking around what to do with a lack of tunes on my FLHTPI, and figured it was time to poll the group for ideas. I was just thinking that at least the marine radio would be waterproof, should the hose hit it or the bike be out in the rain...

I only need a head unit and the front speakers. Hogtunes speakers are a viable option, being under $90 shipped online, as are some other speakers (again, marine-grade) from places online, though I'm not sure the mounting would be as easy. I'm NOT considering OEM Harmon Kardon, mainly due to price.

What about head units? Any thoughts? Which ones work best?

Old 04-30-2007, 06:01 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Default RE: Police bike radio ideas

You will likely hear from some other TPI owners with aftermarket radios. On mine, I initially installed a Clarion marine cd/radio in the box you now have in the fairing. To mount the speakers, I purchased the Harley speaker adapters, part no. 77047-98. They go between the fairing and the speaker. I don't know if these are adsolutely necessary, but since that's how speakers are installed on the civilian bikes, that's what I did.

The headunit was mounted by an auto audio shop and included a facia so the installation looked better than sticking the headunit in the plastic box. I later purchased the mounting hardware from Biketronics.com ($50) and it's a nice product--the plastic box is removed, the headunit is recessed and attached to the inner fairing brackets, and includes a facia for a nice OEM look.

For speakers, I bought Sony Xplod 4-way speakers for $35 at Wal-Mart. They work fine for me and I can hear them clearly at 75-80 mph with Rinehart TD's on my bike. Also, since I am no audiophile, if they go bad due to rain, vibration, etc., I will just replace them with something comparable.

You will also need an antenna. I purchased and installed a Dakota Digital electronic/powered antenna for mounting inside the fairing. There are private label versions of this unit available for about $45; the DD cost about $80. Other inside the fairing antennas are available--TuneTrapper seems to be popular for cop bike and civilian EG owners who don't want the tour pak mounted antenna.

I have since replaced the Clarion headunit with a Sony. A true marine headunit (at least the ones I found researching this a year ago) won't fit in the space available--the Clarion has some moisture protection, but not the rubber buttons, etc. that a true Marine unit would have. Direct spray of water on the headunit is unlikely; andit wouldn't be good for the gauges. The Sony has gotten wet many times without anyproblems. Biketronics sells a press fit plastic cover ($20)and I bought one for use if I leave the bike outside.

HTH.

Old 04-30-2007, 07:34 PM
BirchwhiteHD
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm using a sony 5710 stereo mounted in the space were the box used to be using the mounting block kit from biketronics,they charged me $50.00 for the mounting kit,fairly easy to mount back into the same mounting holes the dash box uses. I too have the biketronics "rain cover" seals the radio up nicely when washing the bike or the unexpected downpour while out riding.
I installed the hogtunes into my fairing using the speaker mounts metioned above by harleypingman.
I using a tunetrapper antenna mounted inside my fairing,works for some and not others,seems to depend on where your located.
I've had good luck with my radio so far,no problems to speak of and it's not a marine stereo .

any other stuff you need to know about the police EG's let us know,there's more than a few of us with the police bikes here,and most of us have added alot of the creature comforts to our bikes.

Old 04-30-2007, 10:35 PM
liquiddeputy
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Carl/Mike, thanks!!! I just "assumed" the box was pretty close to a single DIN stereo much like the factory unit--good to know. I never thought about the mounting hardware. Good to know we're talking about a $200-$250 project rather than a $800+ one, though!!!

Old 04-30-2007, 11:53 PM
son7771
Cruiser

I used the clarion cd radio I got on ebay 164 dollars and a set of kicker speakers. spliced into the wires in fairing installed a powered hidden antena of ebay as well and it is good to go!!! I just need to make a bracket that will hold the cordless radio remote off the left mirror so i can control the radio without moving to far

[IMG]local://upfiles/26403/ADE37F34E0F040AA9FA74352B8BA0294.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/26403/F8E2EDDF2B9D47C99217E85B211F3FB0.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-01-2007, 08:44 AM
jbhawley
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want the handlebar controls to work as on a EG classic or ultra then opt for the Biketronics kit. When you get the kit it comes with an adapter that allows a non- HD radio to mount in the same place as a stock radio and comes with a thick stick on plastic cover for the top of the radio. The basic difference b/t a marine and non-mairine radio is the curcuit board on a marine radio is embedded w/ some sort of resin to keep the water off the board. But for 1/2 the price you can get a sony radio from amazon for 115$.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:26 PM
PDLPR8
Stage II

I have a great boat supply place in my town. I put a used JENSEN marine radio in for $50 and two Wal-Mart pioneer speakers for $35. Sounds great! I just have it sitting in the plastic box in my Glide now, but I ordered the Biketronics kit for a better look. I just made a pigtail off the cigarette lighter for power. The boat place also had an antenna that tucks in the fairing for $7. Oh yeah, and the same boat place had the pop up latches that replace the pucks on my saddle bags, $14 each.