Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Electra Glide Ultra Classic

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 05:22 AM
hogcowboy
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 2007 Electra Glide Ultra Classic

Looking like I have a "short" somewhere. Headlight and spots are blowing the fuse. Just powered on no problem. But running after about 30-45 seconds it blows. Looking in the headlight bucket I don't see anything.

Is there a place I should look next that would be the next logical place or do I have to take everything off and trace everything?

This happened after I washed the darn thing by the way so that's why I though the headlight bucket would be the logical place. It's not water doing it now because it sat in the hot garage over the weekend and I blew out everything I could get compressed air to.

Old 07-21-2015, 05:29 AM
Assegai
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

............. a wiring diagram would be helpful.

Try removing the bulbs - could be the sockets?

Old 07-21-2015, 05:46 AM
hogcowboy
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Assegai
............. a wiring diagram would be helpful.

Try removing the bulbs - could be the sockets?
The headlight bulb has been replaced as I decided it was a good opportunity to clean the glass on the inside so cleaned it all with alcohol.

I guess then I can do the same with the spots. I did notice once I cleaned the headlight the spots looked hazy now. I just don't like breaking into things that don't really need it.

I'm not the greatest at motorcycle mechanics. Tractor now problem but these tight spaces on a bike and me don't get along too well if you know what I mean.

Old 07-21-2015, 06:09 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,149 Likes on 3,670 Posts

That big *** wire loom near the fairing brackets... Open it up and look for something closely....it's where my gremlins were, not head light but electrical nonetheless ...good luck.

Old 07-21-2015, 07:17 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Many people overlook their grounds when troubleshooting things like this. If your ground doesn't have good continuity the the resistance goes up, so the amperage goes up and exceeds the fuse rating. If it were a short on the + side it would blow right away. If it were open the light wouldn't come on at all. There's still a possibility the the + is crossed with another + and the combined load is higher than the fuse rating. Do you have a multi meter?

Old 07-21-2015, 07:19 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Btw, if you can swing LED spots and headlight it will cut your lighting load by about one half.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:51 AM
hogcowboy
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
That big *** wire loom near the fairing brackets... Open it up and look for something closely....it's where my gremlins were, not head light but electrical nonetheless ...good luck.
By open it up I assume you mean remove the front fairing. Is that correct?

Originally Posted by just plain john
Many people overlook their grounds when troubleshooting things like this. If your ground doesn't have good continuity the the resistance goes up, so the amperage goes up and exceeds the fuse rating. If it were a short on the + side it would blow right away. If it were open the light wouldn't come on at all. There's still a possibility the the + is crossed with another + and the combined load is higher than the fuse rating. Do you have a multi meter?
I checked the grounds at the lights and those are fine. Is that the grounds you are referring to? Here's another strange part or it might actually be what is wrong. I just swapped a fuse from another location to prove the blown fuse was keeping both the headlight and spots from working when this first started after washing. I put a brand new fuse in just now, started the bike and it ran idling for 5 minutes and didn't blow the fuse. I'm not convinced I did anything that would have corrected anything except maybe just checking the grounds made better contact. All I did was look for corrosion and saw none so put it back on.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:28 AM
Ytcoinshooter
Club Member
Received 327 Likes on 157 Posts

Sorry I can't give you additional ideas where to look but I could not help but to comment on one thing. If you had to use a blower to dry your bike then you probably were washing with fairly pressurized water. Wether from a a garden hose attachment or a car wash it's a bad thing to do to your scoot. The laundry list of places water can get forced into that water should never touch is a long one.
I hope this is the only problem that you have to deal with due to washing. I've seen multiple issues arise in friends scoots who wash under pressure.
A bucket with a some bike wash and a mitt is ok I suppose if the grime is that bad. Myself, I never use (never have used in 36+yrs) water except on the wheels by hand with a wheel cleaner with the bike on a lift.
Good luck.

Old 07-21-2015, 01:15 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,149 Likes on 3,670 Posts

Originally Posted by hogcowboy
By open it up I assume you mean remove the front fairing. Is that correct?

I checked the grounds at the lights and those are fine. Is that the grounds you are referring to? Here's another strange part or it might actually be what is wrong. I just swapped a fuse from another location to prove the blown fuse was keeping both the headlight and spots from working when this first started after washing. I put a brand new fuse in just now, started the bike and it ran idling for 5 minutes and didn't blow the fuse. I'm not convinced I did anything that would have corrected anything except maybe just checking the grounds made better contact. All I did was look for corrosion and saw none so put it back on.
Yes, sorry I didn't elaborate...the problem is hiding somewhere...

Old 07-21-2015, 01:32 PM
hogcowboy
Road Warrior

Thanks everyone. I'm in wait and see mode now but will probe deeper if the thing blows the fuse again. Which I highly suspect will happen. It's not like I have to have it. I can't ride and night anyway due to my eyes. I just hate having something not work properly. Again, thanks.