Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise control activation

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 04:41 PM
alexcue
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise control activation

Ok , here's a weird question. How easily do you guys activate the cruise control thumb switch?

I tend to use my left hand to set the speed I'm at. If i use my right hand, my thumb isn't long enough to activate it and keep a steady speed going. Now once it sets and locked in no problem using my thumb to increase or decrease my speed.

Old 04-30-2007, 04:45 PM
the_icemAN
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Cruise control activation

It can be strange to set it, however I don't really recommend you 'use your left hand' to cross over to your right grip area.

I use my right hand.

Steady the bars with your left hand on it's own grip. then I easy rotate my throttle hand down the throttle so I'm more in a very 'wrist-down' mode. Usually (unless you are using pure billet type grips) you have enough rubber on the throttle grip itself you can just use 3-fingers on it maintaining current throttle position. Then a set of the Cruise with the thumb and you are set.

For me ... I don't have the biggest hands in the world so .... you are right if I'm not really 'wrist-down' in riding it is difficult to get the cruise set.

Old 04-30-2007, 04:48 PM
rwagon57
Tourer

I do have large hands and long fingers and still find that I need to rotate my hand a bit from a wrist down position to activate the cruise control. I concur that reaching across with your left hand is probably not the best practice.

Old 04-30-2007, 04:51 PM
drobb
Advanced

I also use the wrist-down method...seems to work best for me

Old 04-30-2007, 04:54 PM
alexcue
Road Master

well, guess i have to practice more. Just every time i tried it with the right hand, i lose at least a couple of miles per hour trying to set it. I have learned i have to wait a sec or two for it to lock in the speed.

Old 04-30-2007, 04:55 PM
the_icemAN
Road Master

One last suggestion (although I haven't tried it) is to get to the speed you want and go say 2-4miles over that speed. Then Clutch in and set it that way so you can take your hand off of the throttle itself.

I haven't tried this ... but 'assume' you can set the cruise with the clutch in.

Just something else to think about.

Worst thing about using the left ... is emergency situations where your arm is now positioned across your body. It shifts your weight slightly to the right and you have a much greater potential to have the bike wander to the right a bit. Plus to set it you are having to generally look down longer to your left hand as it sets the cruise than using the right hand and easily feeling it.

Old 04-30-2007, 06:43 PM
Savdog01
Intermediate

I don't think too much thought went into the cruise control conponent placement. Why put it on the right bar anyway? Also if it's so dangerous to reach over center of the bike, why did HD put the on/off switch on the right side of the nacelle? I guess at 75 mph on the Interstate I am supposed to remove my hand from the throttle, reach down and flip the cruise on, then go back to throttle and reach75 mph again , then stretch my thumb out to set the cruise control without losing speed again. Not too bright HD. But I won't be removing my cruise either!

Old 04-30-2007, 06:50 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: the_icemAN

One last suggestion (although I haven't tried it) is to get to the speed you want and go say 2-4miles over that speed. Then Clutch in and set it that way so you can take your hand off of the throttle itself.

I haven't tried this ... but 'assume' you can set the cruise with the clutch in.

Just something else to think about.

Worst thing about using the left ... is emergency situations where your arm is now positioned across your body. It shifts your weight slightly to the right and you have a much greater potential to have the bike wander to the right a bit. Plus to set it you are having to generally look down longer to your left hand as it sets the cruise than using the right hand and easily feeling it.

No, you can not set the cruise with the clutch in. If the cruise remained engaged with the clutch in you could over rev the engine.

Use of either brake, the clutch, or manual over ride of the throttle will cause the cruise to disengage. As it should.

Old 04-30-2007, 06:52 PM
the_icemAN
Road Master

well.... I would imagine the toggle is on the right because it is potentially used less often (along with the accessory switch) than the spotlight and speakers.

75% of the time I leave my Cruise button on all the time so I'm not necessarily having to 'switch it on and off'. In reality I leave my spotlights on all the time as well so I don't mess with that one either. I change the speakers based on the helmet I'm wearing.

in-town cruising I wouldn't even have it on. Going for a trip on the hiways I would turn it on when prior to starting my bike. But I certainly understand what you are saying about it if you haven't turned it on and are already cruising.

Again.... I would simply recommend one 'CLUTCH-IN' so as not to engine-brake and then turn the switch on. Use the right hand for the right side of the bike... and left hand for the left side. Seems folks are not wanting to let go of the right grip at all and think they are gonna decel too much if they do. Clutch will help ya out so you more or less coast and can hit the buttons or set things as needed.

Maybe I'm over-simplifying things... *shrug*[sm=dontgetit.gif]

Old 04-30-2007, 07:18 PM
EVOrider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 278 Likes on 203 Posts

This is a very simple procedure and way too much thought has been put into it.

I actually believe HD has one of the better cruise control systems. It is nearly just like automobiles work...smooth.

The on/off switch probably should have been on the left side. However, it works where it is located and the switch is large enough to toggle with while wearing gloves on.

The switch on the handlebars are excellent. Best in the industry. Right thumb only and nothing else. It is simple and I cannot think of anyway to improve this part. It is just like a car and we are all use that.

Quick Reply: Cruise control activation