Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rinehart tip turned red

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 02:44 PM
jamesanddiva
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rinehart tip turned red

I got the Rinehart slip ons with the black tips on my '07 Street Glide. Had the download done. The hot side, right side, turned red, then pink, and then kind of copper colored. No problem with Rinehart replacing the part. But I thought this thing must be running lean. Told me that Harly is now recommending the race tuner. No guarantee that it will not do it again. Also told me the race tuner was like $450. Not something I really want to do now.

Any suggestions? Should I get the race tuner? Can Harley do a different download. Didn't research enough before I bought the bike. James

Old 04-30-2007, 02:49 PM
the_icemAN
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Rinehart tip turned red

Personally ...... in the research I've looked at ..... I'd not go with the Race Tuner (Screamin Eagle Race Tuner or SERT).

$450 for the Tuner then figure another 2hrs for them to Dyno and configure it or MORE even (easy money for 'em).

Figures I've heard from people here with the SERT is the initial ends up costing closer to $800 or so by the time it is purchased configured put on the dyno...etc.

for about $850 or so I'd go with the THUNDERMAX ECM and AutoTuner. You can do it all yourself and is very easy (from the reading). The ThunderMax ECM is a replacement for yours and it has the auto-tuner module. Great stuff from what I've seen. After I make Engine mods I'll end up with the Thundermax as I think it is the best for the home-user to make the mods.

Also much more configurable than the PCIII and SERT. PCIII has 256 levels of configuration and I think the SERT only has something like 128. Thundermax (if you really wanna spend the time) has something like 2000 levels.

Good Luck.

Old 04-30-2007, 03:04 PM
RainMaker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

07 UC, bought the Racer tuner, Rhinehart Eaglebeaks, and Dyno tune. Had them all installed before I took possesion.

Mine also turned the same color due to the extreme heat coming off the pipes. Took it back and had them re-dyno and called Bub for a replacement under warranty. Havent received the exhange part yet but the heat has been greatly decreased just from the re-tune. The heat was so bad that with a surface temp gauge, the rear head was running excess of 500 degrees(head temp, not exhaust). The weird part was the rear head was like 300 degrees higher than the front jug.. I'd expect a slight difference from the lack of good air flow but 300 degrees!!... something def wasnt right.

Differentgasalso has a big impact on the heat issue. When i try to run 87, non-stop pinging but the temps are much cooler coming off the rear cylinder(cant run this in my bike, the performance/ping is unbareble). Run 93 and get zero ping but the heat is much much higher from the rear cylinder.

Got her in the shop now getting the 5k service done. With the high temps just around the corner, it will be interesting on how she performs.

Also, picked up a loaner Software Custom for ***** and giggles while my bike is in service andi want my UC back...It takes riding another type of bike to really appricate the UC. I actually feel sorry for you guys that arent on a full bagger.. lol No radio, pure tired from hanging on for dear life on the interstate, ... did i mention no radio?? lol...

UC or bust baby!

Old 04-30-2007, 06:24 PM
Harley Rulz
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: the_icemAN

Personally ...... in the research I've looked at ..... I'd not go with the Race Tuner (Screamin Eagle Race Tuner or SERT).

$450 for the Tuner then figure another 2hrs for them to Dyno and configure it or MORE even (easy money for 'em).

Figures I've heard from people here with the SERT is the initial ends up costing closer to $800 or so by the time it is purchased configured put on the dyno...etc.

for about $850 or so I'd go with the THUNDERMAX ECM and AutoTuner.
Send Shooter64 a PM and You'll save a 100 bucks or so on it when You're ready.

Old 04-30-2007, 06:49 PM
steveh326
Road Warrior
Received 143 Likes on 61 Posts

I do not have Rhineharts on my bike, but I read somewhere the discoloration was due to Bubusing a powdercoat on the tips that was NOTUV protected, and therefore faded in direct sunlight. it appears on the right side pipebecause that one is exposed to sun more than the left when the bikeis parked.

I read it on the internet, so I know it is true.