Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sena Bluetooth headset help please.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 03:29 PM
ubreal
Road Master
Received 184 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Sena Bluetooth headset help please.

I was looking at a sena headset for me and my wife to commutate with her from my bike to hers (not my idea she want to talk). Has anyone use this product, does it work well and can I use the voice prompt with my 2014 street glide to use the hardly voice commands. And will my stereo make the headset go on if I turn up the music to loud. I would like only my voice to activate the headset. I was looking at the sena sph10hd- fm anybody use this or if you can give me some advice on the other sena headsets I would truly appreciate it.

Old 07-16-2015, 06:07 PM
mupepe
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an smh10. It's a very good product. Communication works great and the speakers are great for music too. My road King doesn't have Harley audio/navigation so I can't comment on that.

Old 07-16-2015, 06:24 PM
Steamfighter
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the SMH 10 twin pack, just got it last week. I have only used it to talk back and forth to the wife when she is on her bike. Have not explored all of the features on it, but the range and clarity is very good.

Old 07-16-2015, 08:01 PM
coop creek
Road Captain
Received 115 Likes on 77 Posts

I'm a little confused with what you are asking so I will just tell you what I know.
I have the Sena SMH10 (and a '14 SGS). I have an iphone that is paired to the Sena and to the bike.

FYI I had to cut away some plastic here and there on my Shoei full face helmet to route the wires neatly and get the speakers properly bedded in the foam pockets, but it is done. I got the dual kit. It allows me to speak back and forth with my wife, we can both listen to music from my iPhone, and I can take phone calls though I don't really do that. Of course this is all wireless connection.

The Sena will not communicate with the bike. The bikes FM radio will not play in your Sena speakers for example, and I don't believe that you can use voice commands through the Sena microphone to operate the bike either. There have been posts discussing work-arounds but it requires more hardware etc.

Additionally, and this is the PIA part, if you have your iPhone paired to the Sena and to the bike's radio like I do, you will not be able to listen to music sent from your iPhone to the Sena headset unless you first temporarily disconnect the phone from the bike's radio.

This means you have to turn on the bike, then go to
set-up-->Bluetooth set-up-->list paired devices-->iPhone-->disconnect music and disconnect phone.

Then you can turn on the Sena headset and go ride.

Basically the bike grabs the iphone connection away from the Sena unless you go through this process, as best as I can tell.

Old 07-16-2015, 09:05 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Sena SMH-10

I have a Sena SMH-10 and it pairs with my Iphone as well as my Garmin Zumo 660 that has a media player built in the GPS. When a turn is coming up the gps stops the music and gives me the verbal turning directions and then starts the music again. I haven't used the Iphone for music since I got the Zumo because the gps has a 32gb micro sd card and my Iphone is a 16gb phone. I would guess that the same should be true of the HD infotainment center and may be a matter of software. I know there have been software upgrades that have been applied since they were first introduced. I hear they are made and programmed in India.

Old 07-16-2015, 09:07 PM
ROUNDHEAD
Road Master
Received 171 Likes on 123 Posts

I have that unit. Works pretty well for communication.

Have set up phone. Wife uses it to listen to music.

I listen to the roar from my V&H.

Old 07-16-2015, 09:15 PM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Just picked one up. Found you probably want to turn off VOX for intercom and try VOX on for phone. If you have iPhone Sirus voice commands work thru it for dialing etc. Phone reception is good on both ends so far.

Old 07-17-2015, 03:52 AM
rufasim
Road Warrior
Received 155 Likes on 110 Posts

I have the sena smh10 and its great. I can listen to my music and my daughter can listen to hers. With a push of a button we can talk with each other. Push another button and have siri call any of my contacts. Push both buttons and I can listen to my monster ovals rumble down the highway. The last one is my favorite setting.

Old 07-17-2015, 04:42 AM
str8shuutr45
Tourer
Received 81 Likes on 44 Posts

I just starting using a Sena SMH10R on the advise of a riding friend. He wears a full face helmet; I wear a 3/4. The 10h is very slim and fits my 3/4 helmet like a glove. The unit pairs to my iPhone with no difficulty and the noise canceling feature on the mike is the best of any blue tooth devise I've used (the kit comes with both a boom mike and a wired one full FF helmet so)
The voice commands are great once you get used to them and the sound quality of phone conversation is superb.
Did I mention that my first conversation was at 75 mph with a 3/4 helmet with no shield? And, did I note that listening to Pandora on the helmet speakers via Bluetooth is awesome? Check it out...

Last edited by str8shuutr45; 07-17-2015 at 04:45 AM.
Old 07-17-2015, 11:18 AM
Shanebo
Road Captain
Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by ubreal
I was looking at a sena headset for me and my wife to commutate with her from my bike to hers (not my idea she want to talk). Has anyone use this product, does it work well and can I use the voice prompt with my 2014 street glide to use the hardly voice commands. And will my stereo make the headset go on if I turn up the music to loud. I would like only my voice to activate the headset. I was looking at the sena sph10hd- fm anybody use this or if you can give me some advice on the other sena headsets I would truly appreciate it.
I have the SENA SMH10 set for two, and a 2014 Limited with the same voice interface with the bike as you.

The SENA's are great, but are a standalone unit that does not depend on the bike to have any support/interface with it to work as advertised. That said, it will work as a standalone intercom with another helmet, and will also play the HD radio and other audio functions with the proper adapter at the HD plug in.

However, the HD voice activated interface will not accept any prompts from the SENA, nor will the bike's intercom/CB take any input from the SENA microphone, at least not in the regular configuration that I have.

It is my understanding that the Bluetooth systems on the HD and the SENA do not currently "talk" to each other. SENA's can be used to hear the bike radio and audio prompts, but only when using a cabled connection. That is the same way you can have music playing from two different sources on a SENA--one Bluetooth, and one wired. The reason that's convenient, is like when I plug into a satellite radio with a wire, and have my phone play music over Bluetooth when I'm in an area that may be blocking the satellite signal.

And, as others have said above, the Bluetooth connection on your phone will probably choose the bike to connect with if you have them all turned on, so listening to music from your phone while using the SENA
's requires one of the Bluetooth connections to be turned off, most likely at the bike.

So, I use the HD headsets when touring two-up on the Limited, and SENA when traveling one-up with other bikes (who have SENA's) , or when riding one of my other bikes that is lower-tech. The SENA is fantastic for bike-to-bike conversation, and the sound quality/microphone is better for conversation than the HD system.

Hopefully this helps, and if someone has some correction to anything I've said above, please share--I am always looking to maximize the tools on hand.

All the best,

Shane

Quick Reply: Sena Bluetooth headset help please.