Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions/suggestions requested for breather mod to stock Rushmore air cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 04:36 PM
LCCXL1200X
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Opinions/suggestions requested for breather mod to stock Rushmore air cleaner

Hi everyone,

I plan on making a little modification to the existing crankcase breathers on the stock Rushmore air cleaner and wanted to have it critiqued. All opinions/suggestions are welcome - good or bad. My overall goal is not performance driven, more long term problem avoidance driven. I want to essentially keep internals looking as clean as possible by redirecting the oil spewed from the breathing bolts outside of the air filter. I also want to retain the stock design as much as possible... I know Harley engineers do an awesome job with R&D and QA - it's not like you see saddle bags falling off or anything. =)

Keep in mind my mod would be done on the inside of the air cleaning assembly. None of the stock parts would be modified. Anyway, I have bought the parts for, and plan on doing the following...

1) I have retained the hose connected to the back of the air filter and plugged it. This hose would typically be connected the "T" shaped adapter going to the breathers.

2) I plan to route the breathers to the front of the air filter by attaching a vacuum hose to extend them away from the breathers. At that point, I will attach 90 degree vacuum elbows to both breather hoses and then connect them in the middle using the stock "T" shaped vacuum connector. The "T" shaped connector will then connect to another hose which will drop down to a catching device filled with breather filter material. This catching device will be situated in front of the air filter - all behind the air cleaner cover.

Not sure if my wording helps paint a picture, but hopefully I can get some good suggestions/opinions.

Fire away!