Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine noise.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 06:47 PM
Nitrusfix
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I changed it the lifters for S&S premium and cold start tick tick went away. If you have excessive noise between 2 and 3 thousand rpm check out the post under touring model called quest for tapping is over by Bikerscum

Old 07-13-2015, 07:46 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,605 Likes on 2,725 Posts

Originally Posted by jd05flhtci
It could either be typical valve train/lifter clatter or could be worse. the only thing to do is get it to a mechanic and have if checked. Its awful hard to diagnos over the internet
And awful expensive to diagnose in person.

Old 07-13-2015, 08:20 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,630 Likes on 1,626 Posts

never understood why harely doen't use quality lifters from the start.

Old 07-13-2015, 08:31 PM
jd05flhtci
Road Warrior
Received 311 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
And awful expensive to diagnose in person.
or really expensive replacing parts on hear say from the internet. Just shared a friends problem after he checked everything before taking it to the shop. not trying to say who is right or wrong.

Last edited by jd05flhtci; 07-13-2015 at 08:38 PM.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:56 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 192 Posts

I've have a lifter that ticks when first started in the morning, it goes away in a minute. But It does not come back when riding the bike

Old 07-13-2015, 11:33 PM
BB59
Tourer
Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

If the noise goes away fairly quickly after start up this is normal. All three of my Harley's are noisy at start up and then quiet down once the lifters pump up. With the exception of a race motor I'm not buying into the "Premium Lifter" hype. I have Woods Night Prowler Directional lifters in my '08 RK which cost me twice as much as stock lifters and they are just as noisy until they pump up as the stock Harley lifters in my son's RK.

Old 07-14-2015, 06:36 AM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 149 Likes on 107 Posts

I have 2 Harley's and every time I go to the lake house and ride the old bike I hear new noises. A few times they were a real problem but most are just different. When I come home again i hear noises. I usually let most go however I am convinced my lifters in my '13 are not as good as any of my last 4 Harley's. I have been told they were made in Mexico to spec and it seems the spec was written too loose. The wide clearances seem to allow the lifters too bleed pressure and require pumping up at each cold start.

Old 07-14-2015, 07:36 AM
chief08
Road Master
Received 210 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by hardheaded
never understood why harely doen't use quality lifters from the start.
because there cheep Chinese made motors.

Old 07-14-2015, 07:43 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,843 Likes on 1,599 Posts

Originally Posted by chief08
because there cheep Chinese made motors.
They are not "cheep" (cheap), nor Chinese, nor motors. It's an Engine, and it's "they're", not "there"....

Fail.

Last edited by lp; 07-14-2015 at 07:45 AM.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:56 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,529 Likes on 1,424 Posts

If under warranty, have you taken it to your Dealer and let them check it out?
I am fortunate that my Dealer has a good reputation, and the Service Manager once told me "Look, as long as you are under warranty if anything - ANYTHING concerns you, bring it by and we will check it out, and of course it won't cost you a dime. Hell, if it is anything, we'll fix it."
One day I stopped by there to get some new pegs, and a mechanic was outside taking a smoke. I had noticed a "Chirp" that would show up from time to time, bugged the **** out of me. I asked Him if He could tell me where it is coming from. "High pitch, or low pitch?" He asked. I said High. "Start it up". One chirp. He stood up, and said "That's a heat shield - snug 'em all up, and it will be gone". He was right!
He is also the dyno guy, listening to motors all the time. If you find the right one, they have heard a lot of stuff over the years, and can quickly point out stuff that will bug you.
BTW - He also said "You are running synthetic aren't you?" Yep. He said "That little bit of valve noise is normal, but syn is better for long term as well as high heat protection. I listen to these things all the time, and THAT right there is a good stout motor, I bet it will run like hell". Yep.
Go talk to 'em, it might make your day!

Quick Reply: Engine noise.