Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil level check

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2015 | 06:05 PM
mikeo33y
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Vernal

Have you ever asked someone how to do something then after doing it you found out that person was wrong? The best way to avoid that in this case is to buy a manual. If you plan to do all future maintenance and repairs I'd advise you get the Service manual, Electrical Diagnostic Manual and Parts catalog. Around $130 for all three at Kutters Online store.

Here's a few pages from the service manual to show what you'd get: Notice the asterisk near oil capacity, 4 qts it states add 3 Qts run until warm and add as needed.
Good Luck
notice were the hot check marks are. high on the stick. this is the important check.

Old 07-19-2015 | 06:51 PM
hemi1300
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Leftcoaster
They (the dealerships) also use the wrong size o-ring on those plugs.
Go one size smaller on the o-ring (it should fit snugly in the groove), no thread dope and your troubles will be gone forever. Buna o-rings work great - no need for viton but it's your bike, your money.
I only need to change out those o-rings maybe once every fourth or fifth oil change.
This I was curious about, purchased a pack of orings from the dealer consisting of 3 orings for all the drain plugs and a gasket for the primary cover. After installing the new orings I notice they had a decent amount of play in the groove on the plug

Old 07-19-2015 | 07:02 PM
hemi1300
|
Road Captain

Still a bit confused about this hot/cold check nonsense. After changing the oil and putting 3 quarts in, have taken a few rides, let the bike idle for a minute or two afterwards, and checked the level on the jiffy stand. Oil level was about 3/4 high on the etch marks, confusing part-let the bike sit all night and do a cold check, oil level still about the same.

Old 07-20-2015 | 07:03 PM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by hemi1300
Still a bit confused about this hot/cold check nonsense. After changing the oil and putting 3 quarts in, have taken a few rides, let the bike idle for a minute or two afterwards, and checked the level on the jiffy stand. Oil level was about 3/4 high on the etch marks, confusing part-let the bike sit all night and do a cold check, oil level still about the same.
Are you using synthetic? I think I remember somebody on here saying something about how synthetic oil doesn't expand and contract like conventional, therefore there's not much difference between hot and cold check. I don't know if that's true or not, but I've noticed the same thing.

Old 07-21-2015 | 12:45 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

no need to be confused. you checked your oil when hot, and it was in the operating range. good to go.

you then checked your oil after it was cold. yep, there's oil in there. i'm ready to ride......

Old 07-21-2015 | 03:54 AM
mikeo33y
Road Warrior

exactly what he said but i added some oil to get it to the top of the etching while the bike is hot. note what manual says

Old 07-21-2015 | 05:52 AM
hemi1300
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by NoCoLoco
Are you using synthetic? I think I remember somebody on here saying something about how synthetic oil doesn't expand and contract like conventional, therefore there's not much difference between hot and cold check. I don't know if that's true or not, but I've noticed the same thing.
Yup, amsoil full synthetic. Guess I will forget about the cold check as long as the hot check is within range. Bike runs fine and no sign of oil dripping from the air cleaner. What u posted makes sense bc my oil level doesn't change much between dead cold or hot, maybe a few etch marks but not much

Old 07-21-2015 | 03:41 PM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member

Yup, amsoil full synthetic. Guess I will forget about the cold check as long as the hot check is within range. Bike runs fine and no sign of oil dripping from the air cleaner. What u posted makes sense bc my oil level doesn't change much between dead cold or hot, maybe a few etch marks but not much

There is no difference in expansion between the two types (syn/dino) of oils.
It also used to be said that synthetics were far too slick and caused ball and roller bearings to slide.
All bunk.

The cold check before a ride is the most important, don't just blow it off. Both of your checks were within range so you're good to go either way.
Remember, your motor uses a dry sump oil system so having the oil level right up to snuff isn't all that important.
Just keep it in range and ride the thing.