Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil level check

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015 | 05:34 AM
Assegai
Ultimate HDF Member

............. don't strip the drain plugs by over tightening!

Old 07-13-2015 | 05:38 AM
hemi1300
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by btsom
You are approaching the 5000 mile service and haven't compared a hot and cold level your self in that time? Check your level before you ride, then check after the ride and get the answer for YOUR machine. On an oil change with filter change 3 quarts is good. Ride the bike a mile or two and adjust the level as necessary if necessary, hot or cold as you prefer.
Have done many hot/cold checks, just wanted to know if mid way on the dip stick was low, that's all. My first harley, and coming from sport bikes with a sight glass, the correct amount was at the full line with bike level. Just weird on harley's that if u fill to full line while hot it ends up spitting out the air cleaner, so want to make sure I don't overfill it and have that happen

Old 07-13-2015 | 05:40 AM
hemi1300
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Assegai
............. don't strip the drain plugs by over tightening!
Do u typically torque them to specs or just snug them down good, I know not to get carried away and crank them down too tight

Old 07-13-2015 | 07:03 AM
Assegai
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by hemi1300
Do u typically torque them to specs or just snug them down good, I know not to get carried away and crank them down too tight

.................. who could argue against using a CALIBRATED torque wrench. If you do go mid range for insurance IMO.

I just snug them down myself. These plugs are very easy to strip and a PITA if you do.

Old 07-13-2015 | 02:59 PM
Mathnerd
Cruiser

Get new o-rings for the plugs. I quit trying to re-use them after the 2nd time I had a drip because of a buggered o-ring.

Old 07-14-2015 | 07:34 PM
mikeo33y
Road Warrior

hot check should be higher than half way on the dip stick. thats were the cold check should be. hot check should be at the top of the etching on the dip stick. check your service manual. it shows exactly were it should be

Old 07-16-2015 | 11:34 PM
REDHEAD
Cruiser
Default 09 FLHR Oil Change procedure

I usually take the 3 quarts and dump them into my 09 king when ready...

Then I open the 4th quart and fill the oil filter (KnN) ONCE to the bottom off the threads... All done, I start and warm for a SHORT time (one minute) check for any Leaks then Check the level on the dip-stick.. IF I add about 6/8 more ounces it is full when Checked HOT...

Now that is ON MY Bike...

signed....REDHEAD

ADDED: I also use 10w60 LiquiMoly...

Old 07-16-2015 | 11:53 PM
DeneFXDWG
Road Warrior

Have done many hot/cold checks, just wanted to know if mid way on the dip stick was low, that's all. My first harley, and coming from sport bikes with a sight glass, the correct amount was at the full line with bike level. Just weird on harley's that if u fill to full line while hot it ends up spitting out the air cleaner, so want to make sure I don't overfill it and have that happen
I don't understand how or why that running less oil helps with the dredded spitting out the cleaner. I've have this symptom with several motor combo's and have always tried running less, (at one point barely showing on the stick), and the result is the same.

Old 07-17-2015 | 05:39 AM
hemi1300
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by mikeo33y
hot check should be higher than half way on the dip stick. thats were the cold check should be. hot check should be at the top of the etching on the dip stick. check your service manual. it shows exactly were it should be
Have checked my service manual many times and, although it says hot check should be at the top of the etching, I have seen a few posts where people had oil blow by out the filter and all over the side of the bike if filled to the top hot check mark

Old 07-17-2015 | 08:54 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member

Midway on the stick cold before you ride should be perfect. Just to be sure you verify by checking it hot.

Quick Reply: Oil level check