Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittent stalling and throwing codes

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 10:54 AM
Hausguy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Intermittent stalling and throwing codes

Hoping someone can help with a mysterious problem. 2012 Ultra is stage 1 per sig line - running PV for over a year with no issues. A few months ago I get a brief stumble (fuel?) and then all is good for a few weeks. I don't think much of it.

It then happens again...then dies. I wait a minute and starts right up and runs fine. Code thrown then was P0118 (ET Sensor High). I manage to get it to the dealer to check out since I have extended warranty. I suspect the sensor but they diagnose and tell me it's the ECM and replace it.

Now I have the new ECM. Still occasionally get the same code in addition to two new ones (U1016, U1040 - loss of serial data to ECM).

I've ridden a few thousand miles since this problem started. It seems to happen more when the bike is hot.

Are these codes related? Thoughts?

Old 07-10-2015, 10:56 AM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

You have extended service plan, take to a dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

Old 07-10-2015, 11:24 AM
smithbrl
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm thinking there is an intermittent electrical connection or bad pins on the ECM connector.

I had issues similar to this including "loss of serial data" code. The dealership replaced pins on ECM connector and that fixed the problem.

Old 07-10-2015, 11:32 AM
Hausguy
Road Master

Originally Posted by smithbrl
I'm thinking there is an intermittent electrical connection or bad pins on the ECM connector.

I had issues similar to this including "loss of serial data" code. The dealership replaced pins on ECM connector and that fixed the problem.

They replaced the ECM. I'm still thinking sensor(s) but I can go a day or more of solid running with no issues...

Old 07-10-2015, 11:56 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

I would guess that they replaced the ecm because they don;t know for certain what the fault was.

when replacing the ecm they may have "renewed" poor pin connections.

so take it back- the fix wasn;t permanent.

you have a warranty put it to work.

if the dealer doesn't inspire confidence, try another shop

your best bet as the owner is do not direct them to do certain repairs, just give them all the info you can on codes and leave it to them. hopefully they'll do a comprehensive check and find an actual problem.

Last edited by mkguitar; 07-10-2015 at 11:59 AM.
Old 07-10-2015, 12:29 PM
Hausguy
Road Master

I have an appointment with a different shop but they're booked for a couple of weeks. I was hoping for possible things to try to troubleshoot on my own while I wait.

The first place wanted to dyno it for me, then they wanted to blame the Powervision (that my tune was possibly corrupted), which was flawless for over a year.

Old 09-02-2015, 05:15 PM
IHC67
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is interesting, I am having similar but worse issues.
I was running the V&H Fuelpak and got the 0118 ET sensor code. I took it to the dealer, they said they tested the sensor it was fine, and it was my Fuelpak screwing things up. THey said they unplugged it and ran it, and had no codes.
BTW...running V&H Big Shots & SE Heavy Breather.
so of course they try to sell me the HD download. I did some research and settled on the PV from Fuel Moto. I loaded the tune and ran it for about 2 days, and the engine sensor code came back. So I loaded the stock tune, and it went it to Limp Mode, threw about 10 or 12 codes including the ET Sensor, throttle sensor, twist grip sensor, etc...along with the codes the OP noted, the loss of serial data to ECM. the codes would NOT clear. I unhooked the battery for 2 hours, still wouldnt clear. I loaded the FM tune, same thing, reloaded stock tune, same thing. after sitting for 2 days, the codes cleared briefly, 100 ft out of my driveway and BAM limp mode and all the codes back.
The dealer refuses to work on it. saying these happened after the PV download so its corrupted. Several calls to FM and they insist its impossible for the download to corrupt the ECM. So now i have an appointment at another dealer.
Not sure if I should give them the whole story, or just say here's the codes, fix it.
I also have the extended warranty...the first dealer refuses to talk to HD about it saying it will void my warranty.

Old 09-02-2015, 05:32 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,836 Likes on 1,596 Posts

Just to throw some more info into the mix, an ET sensor is High code pretty much means that the ECM is not reading the ET sensor because it is either Open, unplugged, or the wires to the ECM are off or broken.

ET Sensor Low usually means the sensor is shorted.

Since you have loss of serial data etc as well I would be looking at the the ECM connector.

BTW, loss of ET sensor to ECM will stall the bike every time...

Old 09-02-2015, 05:50 PM
Hausguy
Road Master

On mine, the second shop wasn't able to reproduce the problem. It did happen again once for me and that was the end of it. I've now put on a couple thousand+ miles an no more issues. It just went away.

Have you ever tried cleaning the big connector behind the throttle body? Given all of your various codes you're getting, it's probably something like this, the connection to the ECM or the ECM itself. Let them figure it out.

Old 09-02-2015, 06:41 PM
IHC67
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did check the throttle body connector and put dialectic grease on it. However I hadnt checked the ECM connector, but supposedly, the first dealer tried a new ECM and it was not fix. But if they didnt check the plug connector...

Quick Reply: Intermittent stalling and throwing codes