Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After market shocks why lower than stock

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 12:49 PM
CVORoadKing2013
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Well right or wrong I have gone with the JRI single adjustable 13" shocks with standard springs.

I will let you know what I think when they come in.

Old 07-12-2015, 08:41 PM
sprinter1551
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with the Supershox, the ride is fantastic. I have a street glide, immediately took the 12" shocks off (wifey didn't like them from day 1) and put on a pair of 13" air shocks just to get rid of the hard hits with the lowered shocks. I had those on for 6 years until Supershox came out with their shocks and immediately gave them a try, and they are worth it. I used their shocks when I ran sprint cars 10 years ago, and they were so good on the cars, I couldn't wait to get a set when they made the motorcycle shocks. The supershox are made with adjustable pre-load on the spring, you just turn the large adjusting nut by hand and can raise or lower based on the spring pre-load. The ideal ride height is 11-3/8 eye to eye when fully loaded, so they are lower, but not slammed low. Again, the ride is incredible. Hope this helps.

Old 08-15-2015, 11:16 AM
ebigfish
Road Captain

Originally Posted by CVORoadKing2013
I do not want to have to lower the front
I was thinking the same thing...

Any problems with NOT lowering the front? (when you lower the back...)

Last edited by ebigfish; 08-15-2015 at 02:19 PM.
Old 08-15-2015, 07:05 PM
ebigfish
Road Captain

Originally Posted by ebigfish

surely somebody can give an opinion on this.... don't make me start a new topic....

Last edited by ebigfish; 08-15-2015 at 07:10 PM.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:14 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

No, there is no problem at all. Harley runs both the stock length as well as the lowered 12 inch shocks and change absolutely NOTHING on the front end. If they are confident in going from stock length to 3/4 inch drop with no front end drop, then that's good enough for me.

Old 08-15-2015, 09:46 PM
ebigfish
Road Captain

Originally Posted by bikerlaw
No, there is no problem at all. Harley runs both the stock length as well as the lowered 12 inch shocks and change absolutely NOTHING on the front end. If they are confident in going from stock length to 3/4 inch drop with no front end drop, then that's good enough for me.
Thanks, bikerlaw... that's what I was thinking but couldn't find ANYthing on it.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:19 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by JMC22
One thing you might want to consider - a good pair of shocks can last you a long time and give you many happy miles of riding.
The JRI shocks I have, I took off my 13' Fat Bob and put on my 15' SGS
Get the shocks you want, keep your old ones & if you trade up bikes, put the stock shocks back on and put your good shocks on your next bike.
I always wondered if the valving was different between the tourers and Dynas. My guess would be no, to keep costs down. Springs should be heavier though?

Lowering rear makes bike a little slower steering, a little less agile, but better stability going straight. Raising rear makes bike quicker steering, less effort to turn, but less stable at straight. Not saying the bike is unstable, this is how the rake/trail changes effect bikes handling. Depending on how you ride, you may not notice this. I can tell when a bike is changed an inch, even a 1/2". Riding the twisties, raising rear providing more travel, and riding a bike the tends to fall into the turns a little easier is better imo.

Bought a 11 RKC and am definitely upgrading front and rear suspension. It makes a lot of sense to install the tallest/longest shock possible for best ride quality. Ohlins offering of a 13.25" shock, as well as Progressives 444's 13.5"s, are interesting. Anyone run Progressives 444 13.5"?

Old 09-13-2015, 09:21 PM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Looking at suowrshox or the progressive

Want to stay in the 650.00 range

Looking at the super shocks it looks like I would be about 1/2" lower than what I have from Harley
If I go progressives I can go same height or higher if I want

Just not sure what is right or wrong
This is my dilemma also. I went 1/2" longer than stock on my Wg (progressives)and it was great, but not sure on my egc. Going to call this Howard fella and pick his brain before making a decision either way. I've had good luck with he progressives but the more I read about the Ohlins and the proper spring and preload for 1 & 2 up and the adjustable dampening, has me intrigued.

Old 09-14-2015, 12:47 AM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Well I am 6'3" with a 36" inseam do not need a lowered shock can touch the ground just fine.

So the Progressive 444 or the JRI what other options are out there?
The progressive part # for a half inch longer than stock shock is--444-4003B. The JP # is 504-482

Old 09-14-2015, 06:46 AM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 364 Likes on 253 Posts

For guys that are not tall like me, 5' 9" I lowered my seat and shocks and now I feel confident at stops.

Quick Reply: After market shocks why lower than stock