Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headset

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 07:35 PM
texas725
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headset

New 07 Ultra due in 3 weeks. Ordered an extra headset with the bike. Does any Ultra owners utilize the headsets and if so are they worth it? Having Rineharts installed on the bike and I did not know if they will be too loud to talk on the headsets. I would appreciate any feedback from riders who utilize headsets.

Old 04-29-2007, 07:53 PM
RustyCor
Cruiser
Default RE: Headset

I have an '05 Ultra and have never used the headsets. Driver and passenger can talk easily without headsets, but to talk to other bikes over the CB is a different story. Then the headsets work great.

Old 04-29-2007, 07:56 PM
texas725
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks for the info.

Old 04-29-2007, 08:13 PM
envexed
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use them some with two up for intercom, however you will get tired of the cords. The front hook up on my bike, with the factory HD headset has noise in it. It is the sound of the ignition running, like the cars of old where you had to install a capasitor on the coil, I hate the problem. Same head set does not do it on the rear. I just happen to order a shorty helmet from J&M with an intergated headset installed, now that is a good headset that makes no noise at all. By personal experence, I would not purchase the DH unit , but by one from http://www.jmcorp.com/, you will have to buy the harley cord seperate from them, it is longer and stays hooked up better, the HD one I used came unpluged several times while riding, the J&M one has not done so. Better quality product , IMO

Old 04-30-2007, 12:21 AM
Faulkner
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

For most two up riding we don't wear the headsets unless I'm going to be using the CB in a group ride. I told my wife that if I wanted to listen to her talk I'd just as soon go in the car.

The following users liked this post:
WVHARLEEMANN (02-23-2022)
Old 04-30-2007, 11:18 AM
texas725
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks for the feedback. Will look at the J&M headset.

Old 04-30-2007, 11:23 AM
texas725
Outstanding HDF Member

The trick is to just wear the headset and never turn it on. Just nod your head up and down ever few miles and your wife will not know the difference.

Old 04-30-2007, 11:53 AM
the_icemAN
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

use the headset quite a bit actually. My bud and I ride to work every day. We usually have a 3rd rider with us so I ride in the tail-gunner position. Makes communication via bikes much easier if we need to make a hole or whatnot.

The speakers in the headset a a little cheap. You will have washout of the lower frequencies (I also have RineHarts). Usually to work and back we run our 3/4 helmets (I have the BURNOUT helmet and he has the UltraJet II) and when we just 'ride' we use our 1/2 helmets and don't worry about the CBs. That being said... I don't have much issue with the Headset. Communications are a breeze via CB with 'em. However the normal radio/audio isn't as good. Almost better to have the sound out of the main speaker systems and the CB/VOX-Intercom done through the helmet.

I have no CLUE what truth there is in this, however what I've heard (from several people) is the MIC in the HD is much better for transmission and/or VOX but the speakers in the J&Ms are much better than in the HDs.

Dunno if that is true or not.... just kinda passing on 2nd hand information.

Old 04-30-2007, 04:36 PM
alexcue
Road Master

well, I use the J&M headset, with the KBC(?) helmet (it's integrated)., and it works fine. The wife uses the HD set, and she seems to have more trouble than me with the VOX. The sound from the speakers is great with the J&M.

Wife has the problem with the HD cord, she usually stretches the cord a bit before hand. If she hasn't used it for a couple of weeks, the cord shrinks again and she needs to stretch it out. (god, that has so many meanings behind it.. [&:] )

Old 04-30-2007, 04:44 PM
rwagon57
Tourer

I use the HD head set all the time, even for music, in a full face Arai helmet. I know many prefer the J&M units but I am satisfied with the HD headsets. Wife does stretch her cord during storage, otherwise it tends to pull down on her helmet. I like the intercom function as well.

Quick Reply: Headset