Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bagger tip over

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 06:03 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: bagger tip over

I dropped mine in the garage while trying to move the bike forward to clean the rest of the wheel, and the jiffy stand folded on me. I caught the bike just before impact. Layed it down lightly on the crash bar for a second and was so pissed, I lifted it upright using just my arms. I crashed into the wall with my shoulder as I caught it and must have scared the crap out of the family. They all ran out to the garage. By the time they got there, I was already ranting to the wife (who wasn't there yet)thatI needed a damn lift. lol. I was luckyI caught it. No damage at all. I am sorry about yours, though. Should be an easy fix. To your bike, that is, not your ego. I have yet to fully recovermy ego. And I still need a damn lift.

Old 04-29-2007, 06:13 AM
Jock
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear it..

Watched the lift your bike part of the Ride Like A Pro video and watching the young lady lifting that bike was awesome!

Old 04-29-2007, 08:20 AM
db2753
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I am very glad this was posted. Done it myself just last weekend. Pulling into a parking lot going too slow & leaning too much my leg wasn't strong enough to holdher up. I just layed her gently down and stood up. I was lucky, no marks on bike or me. Some guy in the parking lot helped lift her up. Thanks XXX for the how do and I'm also going to get the video. I did a search about this but not much came up when i entered Stupid.

Old 04-29-2007, 08:22 AM
Road Glider
Tourer

Don't feel like you're alone..

Dropped my 07 for the first time last weekend at work in the parking lot. I had also seen the "ride like a pro" and got her back up (forgot to put the kickstand down though and almost went back over the other side!).

Anyway,had a Softail before this and I assumed there would be damage....Nope, just a couple of scuffs on the crash bars. I can live with that.

Old 04-29-2007, 12:34 PM
Dannl
Cruiser

I think that most Ultra owners have laid their bikes (gently) over at one time or another. As others have said just turn your back to the bike, crouch down where the top part of your butt is aganinst the seat, pull the handle bars all the way against the bike, holding on to the handle bars and the rear bag guard slowly walk the bike up to an upright position.

Old 04-29-2007, 12:38 PM
HogBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, dropped mine while I was working on it--jiffy stand folded on me. Was so pissed, I picked it up with no problem. Probably could have whipped King Kong's butt at that point--especially after I found out I scratched the frame and put a small dent in my muffler.

Old 04-29-2007, 01:01 PM
dougbk
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi, I left my wheel lock on and went to drive away with my wife and it dropped like a rock. other then picking it up as quick as possible before anyone saw me there was minor damage. Don't feel alone we all make blunders.
Just about everyone that I know that uses a rotor lock has forgotten to take it off at least once, myself included. The lifting technique described by Danni works like a champ.

Old 04-29-2007, 01:08 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Hell, I drop mine on a regular basis just to practice picking it up.

Last year after riding all day 2 up and fully loaded, we pulled into the host hotel of the NH/VT state rally. The paved parking lot was full so I was directed to a rear lot which was a field with a dirt road. The road had the usual 2 tracks with the center crown higher. I was in the right track but slightly up the side of the crown. I slowed to stop and the bike slid down into the track and over we went in front of an audience. My wife went rolling to the ground. Immediately a couple of bros came rushing right towards her. Great!! Well they blew right by her and horsed the bike back up onto 2 wheels. Guess there are priorities

Old 04-29-2007, 01:13 PM
Fireman44
Tourer

them F...in rotor locks, got me one time also.

Old 04-29-2007, 01:33 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

dropped mine also and it was my fault - could happen again tomorrow - being 5'6" and 56 - I have to be "real" alert when parking or moving slow.... lessons learned =
## stay off the front brake
## don't look down
## remember the physics of centrifugal force = drive in turn right and sudden stop = bike keeps going left..
## - brake only when straight brake firm while turned and centrifugal force again will tip ya...
## watch for uneaven ground or holes = 5'6" leaves NO room for error..

Quick Reply: bagger tip over