Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: A poll
Front Brakes only (both feet down)
14.49%
Front Brakes only (right foot down)
2.34%
Rear Brakes only (left foot down)
7.94%
Front and Rear Brakes (left foot down)
75.23%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Stopping with Front brake or Rear brake?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 01:20 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: Stopping with Front brake or Rear brake?

Front only under normal conditions, both for quicker stops. Since rear tire wears faster than front, using the front brakes more takes some stress off the rear.

Old 04-30-2007, 03:00 PM
turbo38sfi
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Detro996

Front break is where the stopping power is and its best to rely on it nearly 100% with the back brake being when you need a little extra or need to make the stop smoother. I use itmy mainly with my wife aboard so I can stop just a little smoother. Make the front the primary habit forming part of your braking. Can't tell you how many bikes I've seen that have run off the road trying to stop or slow downand there isan 8 foot black mark from where the rear tired was skidding. Bottom line don't rely on your rear brake to stop, especially in a panic situations.
This is absolutely correct. I use front brake only, 99% of the time. Only time I touch the rear is if I have to brake while taking a slow corner, especially if there's sand or in a parking lot.

What happens when you stop? Weight transfers to the front of your bike...if you're using your rear brake, your weight transfer is working AGAINST your stopping power. Front brake has more than 90% of your stopping ability. Most high side crashes also occur from people being caught off guard and end up locking up the rear tire...panic, and let off the brake which throws you high side. If you ever lock up the rear at speed you need to ride it out. Worst thing you can do is panic and jump off the brake.

MSF also teaches to use the front 90% of the way and add in a little rear if any.

Friend of mine rides a Triump w/a group of enthusiasts. Says many of them adjust their rear pedal so far down that even if you do use the rear, it's so low below the footpeg that you can't "over apply" it. Many take it off or set it down so far that you can't use it.

Old 04-30-2007, 03:22 PM
RainMaker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Front break heavy. After t-boning a car i practice that front break 99% of my breaking. When you need to feel that front tire lock up and release, you better be ready to hang on....

Old 04-30-2007, 04:29 PM
gordo24fan
Tourer

I use both to slow down and on the last few feet go to just rear. Front brake keeps you a touch to shakey at low speeds like that IMHO. Where's the motorman? Like to hear his input although I think it will be similar.

Old 04-30-2007, 04:52 PM
rwagon57
Tourer

ORIGINAL: zenmachine

I use both. Front and Rear Brakes (left foot down) then when stopped I put the right foot down so both feet are on the road. I think I picked that up in a MSF class?
I do the same and that is what is taught in the BRC. The other piece of this to make sure the bike is upright and the handlebars are square before braking.

Old 04-30-2007, 09:28 PM
ditch_dgr
Road Master

ORIGINAL: zenmachine

I use both. Front and Rear Brakes (left foot down) then when stopped I put the right foot down so both feet are on the road. I think I picked that up in a MSF class?
That is exactly what we used to teach when I did the MSF course, "Slow using both brakes, stop with your left foot on the ground". I try to do that everytime, it keeps the front end from diving too far and prevents (or minimizes the possibilty) or rear wheel lockup.

Old 05-01-2007, 01:48 AM
justkiding
Advanced

just my 2 cents. Look for an experienced rider course in your area. They should cover proper braking, they do in my area here.

Old 05-03-2007, 11:39 PM
Splatter
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: turbo38sfi
Friend of mine rides a Triump w/a group of enthusiasts. Says many of them adjust their rear pedal so far down that even if you do use the rear, it's so low below the footpeg that you can't "over apply" it. Many take it off or set it down so far that you can't use it.
That's funny. When I was learning to ride back in the late '60s our religious beliefe was that the front brake was total evil and many wondered aloud "why they even put it on there." Now the religion of the front brake has people not using their perfectly good rear brake.

Use 'em both -- that's why they're there.

The oft-quoted "the front brake has 70% of your stopping power." Is based on the premise the bike is traveling fast enough that front-to-back weight transfer removes 20% of the rear wheel's "traction budget." At slow speed there just isn't that much transfer and the traction budget for the rear wheel is pretty high. At parking lot speeds rear brake is a good choice because a front wheel skid will take you down. (Off road experience doesn't apply here because pavement is stickier than dirt.)

Old 05-03-2007, 11:58 PM
toyrider
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I utilize both brakes when stopping and within the last 10 feet or so I am on the front brake...and oh yea, left foot down first always