Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: A poll
Front Brakes only (both feet down)
14.49%
Front Brakes only (right foot down)
2.34%
Rear Brakes only (left foot down)
7.94%
Front and Rear Brakes (left foot down)
75.23%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Stopping with Front brake or Rear brake?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 10:10 AM
dgriffith
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Stopping with Front brake or Rear brake?

I still practice [Monkeypaws] The acronym that was used at the Riders Edge Course. Both hands and both feet, then set left foot down. Never know what will happen in the last 10 feet. And like Pastor John, finish with the rear brake.

Old 04-29-2007, 10:36 AM
bay13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I try to always start with the rear and then add the front. The idea is that your best stopping power is with both brakes applied. The secret is to practice the method until the back brake doesn't lock up. I know normal driving and all you could just use the back brake, however then you would have no practice on the intergration of both brakes. I start with the back then add the front and then once almost stopped I use mostly the rear so the front end doesn't dive an pull the bike down. Left foot down, ready to pull out incase.

Old 04-29-2007, 10:49 AM
Basz
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Motor Squad

Both brakes, but use less pressure on front brake as the bike begins to come to a complete stop. Rear brake only for really slow speed stuff like parking.
Ditto Motor Squad

Be carefull with that front brake at slow manuevering speeds. It will pull your bike right down.

MSF and Ride Like a Pro IV - I think both these programs demonstrate the pull.

Old 04-29-2007, 10:54 AM
easyglider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I generally use both brakes to stop but put down both feet as I ride alot 2-up and hold the front brake at a light.Remember front brakes are 70% of the braking.If you use only the rear as the bike slows and the front drops the weight is shifting to the front tire and off the rear tire.

Old 04-29-2007, 02:16 PM
Splatter
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Arizona
I use both brakes religiously all the time...
Does that mean you grab 'em both and pray you'll stop?

I use both, too, as long as I'm not in any kind of turning situation. But for that last ten feet, I think I tend to use the rear brake. Back when I learned, the fashion was to avoid using the front brake. I didn't understand why back then, but now I'm pretty sure it's because I learned in an urban environment where your skill as a rider was judged by your slow speed moves. At low speed, the rear brake rules.

The real key, of course, is to stay aware of your situation and select the right braking strategy for conditions.

Old 04-29-2007, 02:23 PM
Peekaboo Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I go against the grain here, I'm a front brake guy.

Old 04-29-2007, 03:09 PM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

The main problem with using the front only in the last few feet - we are all animals of habit - if you do this and nothing "pops up" then you will be OK - problem starts when you are slowing to stop on your only brake is the front - and something happens and you suddenly grab a hand full - if that front is turned at all it will pitch you sidways or if the front tire is on something slick - again, down you go...

Had a very good friend in a parking lot - turing into a stall using front only.... saw somthing in his way, grabbed a hand full - hot day - front tire happened to be on tar snake - bang - down in a flash - could not figure it out until he replayed it all in his head = that front brake is very stong and will lock that front tire in a flash...

Old 04-30-2007, 12:27 AM
Motor Squad
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: harley0711

The main problem with using the front only in the last few feet - we are all animals of habit - if you do this and nothing "pops up" then you will be OK - problem starts when you are slowing to stop on your only brake is the front - and something happens and you suddenly grab a hand full - if that front is turned at all it will pitch you sidways or if the front tire is on something slick - again, down you go...

Had a very good friend in a parking lot - turing into a stall using front only.... saw somthing in his way, grabbed a hand full - hot day - front tire happened to be on tar snake - bang - down in a flash - could not figure it out until he replayed it all in his head = that front brake is very stong and will lock that front tire in a flash...
Exactly Correct!!!
I find it interesting that so many people are giving unsafe advice regarding using mainly front brake and putting both feet down. That habit is asking for the bike to go down at slow speed, especially if the wheel is turned a little bit in either direction.

Old 04-30-2007, 12:32 AM
zenmachine
Advanced

I use both. Front and Rear Brakes (left foot down) then when stopped I put the right foot down so both feet are on the road. I think I picked that up in a MSF class?

Old 04-30-2007, 12:43 AM
bsea
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: harley0711

Excellent tip. Hadn't thought much about that before, but makes perfectly good sense. I generally use both brakes in order to get into good habits, since in a panic situation you will do what you practice. From experience, I have accidentally locked up the rear in a panic stop and pretty much left the front brake alone (opposite of what I should have been doing). However, using only the back for the last few feet of a normal stop is a good idea.

Quick Reply: Stopping with Front brake or Rear brake?