Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FatCat Slips WTF!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 10:54 PM
Wally
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default FatCat Slips WTF!

For the third time in as many good rides, I've had to loosen the bolts on the muffler and retighten them in hopes that they will stay put and after todays ride. No luck.
I'm at the point were I'm sure the bolts are right ready to break and the damned thing just will not stay put.
It's as if the flange on the header is tapered to the back of the bike and the muffler moves about an inch back in a few hundred miles.
Any help would of coarse be appreciated.

Old 04-28-2007, 11:41 PM
usecotton
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FatCat Slips WTF!

I had the exact same problem. I was talking to D&D about an issue with ghost pipe and asked them if they were having the slipping problem with the exhaust side. Was told that a few woulddo it but most dont. They said they thought it had to do with the two mating pieces being too smooth. Suggested trying hi-temp silicone on the pipe before sliding on. That did the trick. Would imagine any type skuffing on one of the two mating surface would work.

Old 04-29-2007, 03:15 AM
Ganno57
Tourer

I am sure you are aware that the allen head is metric. Use a 3/8" drive rachet and tighten the snot out of the clamp. Your not going to break that clamp, it is an aircraft stainless steel clamp. The worst thing that can happen is you break the screw and you will have to find another at a hardware store.

Old 04-29-2007, 03:57 AM
rideon
Road Warrior
Received 111 Likes on 74 Posts

ORIGINAL: Electra Geezer

I am sure you are aware that the allen head is metric. Use a 3/8" drive rachet and tighten the snot out of the clamp. Your not going to break that clamp, it is an aircraft stainless steel clamp. The worst thing that can happen is you break the screw and you will have to find another at a hardware store.
When I had the fat cat with quiet baffle for two days I had the same problem and I ended up breaking the bolt trying to get it tight. When the bike was on the dyno you could watch the pipe slide back when it was wound up. After hearing howgreat these pipes were it ended up killing my midrange on the dyno and I took a 300 dollar loss on it trying to get rid of it at a swap meet.[:'(]

Old 04-29-2007, 10:31 AM
Oleman
Advanced

I have had mine on for 3 weeks. I had this happen once after I first did the install and heated it up good. I re-tightened very tight and have had the problem no more. I did a dyno tune Friday and my torque really improved in the low and midrange.